Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I buy an M50 without test ride

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by Rocket01, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Hi everyone, There is no M50 Boulevard available for me to test ride in my town. I have taken a c50 for a brief ride, like the feel and the look but can't stand the footboards or heel toe shifter. My question for you fine people is am I going to find the more forward positioning of the m50 uncomfortable for my 5'10 frame? I love the look of the bike thats no drama, in a perfect world I would travel to a major city and ride one but that isn't possible at the moment. I am very keen to buy one anyway, just need to sell my current bucket of bolts. I have always been on sports bikes so I think the aggressive forward stance will be a good thing?

2. It's your money.

Seriously though, ask yourself what you're going to do if you buy one and hate the ride?

3. As a bike for all seasons, the M50 is a good bike.

But You should at least sit on one - otherwise it could be an expensive impulse.

4. Yeah I know guys, you have both given me rational answers. It will cost me about $500 to go to Brisbane and look at one, hard to find the time. Yet to find a bad review about the m50 thats all. I am not used to cruisers so they are all going to feel different, c50 felt good, can you get them without the footboards? I like the look of a c50 aswell, just don't like the heel/toe shift.

5. yeah i once testrode Vulcan VN900 Classic with floorboard and didnt like it. I kept changing gears without realising it :LOL:

Coming from sportsbike, id prefer forward mounting peg with extra clearance.

6. If you can afford $500 just for traveling to look at a bike, then you should look closer to home. I wasn't aware that it was that hard to find a bike.

If you have never ridden a crusier, yes it is going to feel different. FFS the difference between a cruiser and a non cruiser is visible.

But..... you will enjoy riding a cruiser :grin: :grin: :grin:

7. The M50 has pegs - no footboards, and a normal shifter - no heel and toe.
    The position is more 'std bike' . But that great engine, and the low seating position. Also, the speedo is in a different position from the C50 - do some web research quickly - I had mine for a year, and managed to do 15000 klm on weekends only.

$500 to go to Brisbane ? Would you be buying the bike from this guy? if so, put a 'refundable' deposit on the bike, sit on it, then buy it if it suits.

8. Have you had a look around in the paper / on-line for any 2nd hand M50's in your area and take them for a test ride.

I haven't sat on a C50 so I can't help with any comparisons, but I am very happy with my M50........for now.

9. M50 is a great bike, has better clearance then the C50 and the inverted front forks means it handles a lot better too.

I find the reach to the bars comfortable but the seat is horrible after 2 or so hours in the saddle, i know the C50's is much more comfy.

10. If you can afford $500 just for traveling to look at a bike, then you should look closer to home. I wasn't aware that it was that hard to find a bike.

If you have never ridden a crusier, yes it is going to feel different. FFS the difference between a cruiser and a non cruiser is visible.

But..... you will enjoy riding a cruiser :grin: :grin: :grin:-(/quote]

Surprisingly it is that hard to find an m50 in this neck of the woods, I am not in a metropolitan area so Suzuki dealer doesn't have the market to have all models on display/available for test ride. I actually havn't seen an m50 around town either, perhaps thats because the dealer only keeps the c50 on the floor. I can get an m50 for $750 cheaper through Brisbane delivered to my door than at the local dealer.

11. I am sure the new Suzuki shop in Hervey Bay has a M50. I will ride down there on Saturday and have a look and maybe ask some questions if you like.

I hate the way shops that are not close to Capital cities think that they can nearly charge any price they like. :(

12. It cuts both ways though, they've got pretty much the same sorts of overheads in terms of rent, utilities, wages etc (some of these perhaps cheaper than in a city, others perhaps higher) yet they have no where near the same number of potential buyers.
    When a store only sells X bikes in a year, compared to 2X somewhere else, they need to charge more in order to operate.
    Of course, a country bike shop should be selling an absolute container ship worth of offroad bikes a year so who knows eh?

13. 10 minutes and $5 will fix the seat.
    Undo the cover, do a simple 'lumpectomy' and add some memory foam (gym mat) to change the profile, and you can ride for hours and hours after.
    Can add links to the photos if required - simple, cheap and effective - doesnt change the look at all, and makes your butt feel much better!

14. peter-reebok,

I'm interested in this lumpectomy can you please post the link.
    Although i don't believe it will help my girlfriend on the pillion.