Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I buy a new Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Electro, Oct 17, 2009.

1. I'm looking at buying a brand new car to take advantage of the business investment allowance before it expires. I'm keen on buying an '09 Jeep Wrangler Sports/Rubicon.

I've always wanted one cause I love the look of them and love that the roof comes off - so it’s a great drive in summer. However, I've heard that although it’s an awesome off road car, it's not so good on the black stuff. Is it really that bad when driving around town?

I haven't really been into the whole off-road thing but I wouldn't mind getting into it, however, the car would probably spend most of its time around suburban Melbourne driving me to work and the like so I don't know if it would be suitable for that.

I currently drive a Mazda RX8 and am worried that I have become too accustomed to the smooth handling of it and may find the Jeep ride comfort/handling a problem.

Anyone have one and/or can comment on the car in general and the suburban comfort factor? Would love to hear some thoughts...

2. The Jeep is a great off-road 4WD. Does what most REAL 4WDs should do.
    If, however, you intend to use it primarily for local roads/highways, you may find you miss the smoothness and comfort of your RX8.
    Take a few out on some decent road tests ... You may find your happy enough with it's comfort level. As for handling .. I haven't driven a real 4WD that handles itself on roads well. ( After all, its NOT what they are built for ).

PS: Be prepared for expensive servicing and replacement parts.
    Other than that .. a great 4WD.
    Bottom line .. YOU need to be happy .. test drive .. test drive

3. hmmm..well, two thoughts sprung to mind.
    the first one being 'Toorak tractor'
    the second one being' for that sort of money i'm in the MV Agusta F4 ballpark...mmmm...think i'll just hold that thought and umm...i'll be in my bunk.

4. Dont forget the shitty fuel economy - factor that into your decision.

5. I think you'd be better off buying a $17,999 basic car for commuting, keeping the RX-8 and extending its life by not using it all the time. I mean, seriously, you're not going to spend all that money just for looks, just tohave more expensive registration, insurance, AND TYRES and inferior comfort, etc etc, on the hope that you might take it off-road one day?? How often do you think that's REALLY going to happen??

6. An RX8 to a Jeep Wrangler is about as polar opposite as you can get...

I drive a Golf TDi which I love and the boss has a Hilux 4x4 Turbo Diesel, to be honest I'll take the Golf every tiime, it goes, stops and handles pretty well...the Hilux is noisy as all hell, rides rough and has the turning circle of the QEII...around town it's a pain in the arse

In the bush though I'm sure it's great

7. I spent $2500 on an old diesel Hilux one summer, had a ball going off road getting up to all kinds of stuff, and the best bit is you don't give a crap about scratching it or bumping it, which is what you'll be doing if you want to go proper 4WDing. Best thing was I sold it for the same price I bought it for. I'm with MonkeyMan, I thought Toorak Tractor straight up, and yes you will miss the handling.

8. How old is that hilux? My boss has one of the latest generation ones, I drive it every day for work.

Compared to my pulsar, mums imprezza, the hilux does everything as well or better, except go around corners (especially in the wet...). The turning circle is bigger, but it's not that bad.

It's quiet as and the ride is better around town and on the highway than any other car I've driven.

9. Ha ha ha, yeah cause who needs to corner on the roads!

10. Lucky your in Melb.
    In Sydney, the SWB Wrangler is a favourite by the gay community !

11. As a tow-truck driver, I'm yet to encounter a Jeep owner who doesn't regret the purchase.

12. ouch!!!! that's got to be a factor :LOL:.

13. It's no coincidence that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is called the "Grand". Apparently everything that needs to be done to it costs at least that much and often more.

I wouldn't touch a Jeep product with a barge pole.

14. It can go around corners fine. Just not particularly quickly. You don't need to take corners quickly on the road.

Like anything, you drive it with an understanding of its limits and it's fine. If you try to drive a hilux like a porsche, you have it coming.

15. Orange-mocha-frappacinos!!!:dance::butt::bannanabutt:

16. You don't need to step outside your house either.

What motorbike do you ride? A Harley?!? :p

Also, a Hilux costs something round $40k, right? If you're going to compare it to an Impreza, compare it to a new WRX which costs around $40k too. My mother's got a new RS and the ride quality and NVH (noise vibration harshness) levels are brilliant. I doubt the Hilux will exceed the WRX in any areas other than load capacity and ground clearance. And you'll have a sh!tload more fun in the WRX. ;)

Electro, moving from Japanese build quality, reliability, fuel efficiency, maintenance costs, ride quality and NVH levels, handling and suspension technology, etc, to American, is a guaranteed recipe for disappointment.

17. Did I mention my friend's dad's Jeep caught fire?

18. Did he start the fire on purpose? :p

19. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I kinda guessed this is the response I would get... They still seem to be pretty popular given all the negatives you have all mentioned - Why?

Does anyone have any first hand specific feedback on the new model released in 07. I know there have been changes with this model compared with previous models.

As for the gay thing - I had no idea of this and it's not really an image I want to project. :)

20. Popularity does not dictate quality. Look at how popular Hyundai Excels were... That and probably less than 5% of people actually know anything about cars.

Maybe if it had a lift kit and mud tyres on it that would help with the camp image! ;-)