Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should have said Hi here

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by agronaught, Feb 13, 2008.

1. I guess I should have said hi here...

Well I've only recently decided to get my bike license. A combination of thinking about it over the past 20 years, a new baby in the family, and with 3 children my beloved commodore has officially become the family car. I won't drive my wife's car, and don't want to buy another one, so...

So I'm looking at a motor cycle for the commute to/from work and eventually for a little touring. From discussions on this site, with friends, and with the dreaded dealers I'm looking at buying a gs500 - preferably used - as my first bike.

Now all I need to do is pass the learners - Friday. I should do OK :)

Thanks for all the good advice people have given, it has been very much appreciated.

2. You will pass the learners. Not really a test but just to see if your a competant individual and to explain how a bike works. I did my pre learners day October last year. I had a ball and couldnt wipe the smile off my face.

Im new to netrider as well, and so far so good!
  3. Good choice of forum

Good choice of transport/fun machine

Good choice of bike

I'd say you're off to a flying start :).

Check out the NSW Events section for coffee nights, Saturday Social events and rides 'n stuff....
  4. Well thanks to Minister Twatkins and the cancellation of the Sydney TCARD project, I have just been made redundant. Looks like that bike purchase will have to wait a couple of months :'(

5. Ouch, that sucks mate.
    Good luck with the job hunt.
  6. Passed the Pre-learners. For the record the instructors at Stay Upright at Clyde are exceptional.

I'm going to wait a month or so before getting my learners, hopefully closer to actually buying a bike so I get the best use of the 12 months on learners. And yes - I know I have to get my learners within 3 months ;)

7. Congrats on the pass.

But don't let not having a bike stop you from coming along to one of the coffee meets around Sydney. Check out the nsw rides & events.

Good luck with the job hunt & subsequent purchase.
  8. Sucks about the Job ... sorry to hear.
    Best of luck in the job hunt.
    .. and Welcome Aboard :biker:
    Great to see another 'mature' rider joining the ranks.
  9. Found a job - start from next week. I guess 4 days from redundancy to job offer isn't too bad :) I'll give it a month, then look seriously at buying a bike.

In the meantime I'm collecting all the safety essentials.

Getting Close :)

10. I like your prioritisation of safety essentials before bike, congrats on the new job
  11. hi and welcome
  12. > I like your prioritisation of safety essentials before bike, congrats on the new job

I made a promise to my wife - If I was going to ride a bike I would would do it properly.