Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should a new bike have 0km odometer?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by CaffeineMonster, Nov 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hey,
    My brother in-law had his new bike delivered today and it has 8km on the clock - my new bike had zero on the clock when delivered. Is this normal (i.e. from pre-delivery checks) or is the dealer being a tricky bugger?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Part of pd is a test ride so should have a few k's on the clock dependant on how far their test loop is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Should defiantly have a few k's on it from their finals checks they have to do before selling it. Got my bike just over a month ago and remembered it had a few K's on it but can't remember how many.

4. thx guys - he hasn't been happy with this dealer before so wanted to check.
    Cheers

5. When I bought my Suzuki it had 0 km on it. I'd assumed that perhaps there was a dealer setting or similar that let them do the basic pre-delivery without putting any kilometres on it. I can't remember if my KTM had any kilometres on it, maybe it had a few.

6. My 659 had 11 kms when I picked it up a few months ago

7. Nice bike! Mine's a black one

8. Cool I'm lovin it

9. Both of ours had zero. By the end of the day they had 450+ ... :whistle:

• Like Like x 6
  10. #10 CaffeineMonster, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    me too. Finished ordering all the farkle for her I want to put on, which is good because kinda been on a shopping spree since got licence at beginning of month and should give the bank account a rest.

Seems to vary whether zero or a couple. Mine was zero too.

Can imagine living in Geraldton would be easy to put 450+ on. Would be like just a trip up the road to your friends house. I just moved back east after 3 years in Perth. WA is gorgeous, but a long way from everything which is good and bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. If it's an electronic dash with no actual speedo cable connected then it will normally have a few km showing.
    With cable driven speedo's they'd normally just disconnect them until the bike is ready for delivery.

12. Mine is electronic dash, speedo cable from front wheel. Dealer may have just gone around the very short block though - couple hundred meters.

13. why did he buy a brand new bike from a dealer he wasnt happy with ??

14. He didn't. It was a new for old replacement because he got smidsy'd couple weeks back (write off) and replacement had to come from place he originally bought it. He was trying to arrange to have replacement from somewhere else - but insurers...

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. I think there is an actually standard for this which is fairly generous. From memory, it's something like 80klms before it's no longer a new bike. Ninjee had 3klms on the clock

16. Mine had 16 on it, 14 when I decided to buy, and another 2 when I picked up. 6 were my test ride, I presume the rest were dealer tests. Checking my test route on google maps backs that theory up - the last 2 could have been a short test loop before pick up. 650 in 2 months now which I don't think is too bad considering weekends only and a lot of rain.

17. Mine had 16 on it, 14 when I decided to buy, and another 2 when I picked up. 6 were my test ride, I presume the rest were dealer tests. Checking my test route on google maps backs that theory up - the last 2 could have been a short test loop before pick up. 650 in 2 months now which I don't think is too bad considering weekends only and a lot of rain.

18. I take it Ninjee is the green rocket?

19. Zero when I first saw the bike then 4km on mine on delivery. I rode the dealer's test route and found it bang on 4km, so it was only the pre-delivery test that was done.

20. 0.5. He said for testing.