Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by minimatron, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Hi All,

My first time here. I have been riding a 1983 Z250b for the past 18 months and am almost ready to upgrade to something bigger and better. Its been an interesting time, considering I had never ridden anything before this, but with the encouragement of my other half and some friends, I think I am doing ok.

The one thing which always gets me is the fact that I cant touch the ground with both feet. I am lucky at times to get two tippy toes on the road... if its flat!! It really knocks the confidance out of me. Oh and so does cornering... will I ever get that right??

Any suggestions on what I could upgrade to (up to a 600cc)? I am just under 5'3 and would love to touch the ground with both feet...it doesnt have to be flat foot.

Cheers, Thanks for listening. Will be posting my bike for sale soon to upgrade... Yeah!!! :grin:

2. If you don't have to sell your old Z, keep it. I would have kept my Z650 if I could have. the Z250 may not be worth too much at the moment, might be better to keep it as a spare bike. They are very cheap to run and wil last forever.
    As for newer bikes for the vertically challenged, someone will be along shortly. I would say a bigger Z, but that's just me! Cruisers seem to be the way to go for short limbed people.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. my old boss was a shorty and neither of hi feet touched the ground when he got his '03 R6. he just hung off one side at lights.

if it really worries you, go for a cruiser, very comfortable, low to the ground, and very very easy to handle and corner.
  4. Thanks typhoon, unfortunately the bank balance will prevent me from keeping the z and also space in the garage (we already have 3 bikes). I'm not really into cruisers, would like something a little more sporty.
    The search goes on....
  5. I know a guy thats 4 foot nothing and ride a buell ,not sure on the lowering cost ,but it can be done.
    Its that small, from a distance it looks like a pocket bike.
  6. ==== Any suggestions on what I could upgrade to (up to a 600cc)?===

5'3'' thats 160cm
    well i can only speak for myself and confidence and practice is everything you need not height--

- my mentors always told me tht you only need one foot on the ground--- in mycase toes :LOL: i am 158cm (no shoes) and i ride a big bike--- check the seat height (usually 800mm and under is ok for short people) and tank size and reach to handlebars on lots of bikes before you upgrade- and a little tip- build up leg muscle (quads, calf and hamstrings) strength and then stabilising the bike on a stand still should be no probs-- hope this helps. :)
  7. A pocket bike sounds great.... :LOL:
    Then i'll really have a bad case of ducks disease....
  8. exactly-- !!! go hakin !! :cool:
  9. Hey banditR1,

Confidance and practice, well that says it all. Something that unfortunately I dont have. I am only a weekend rider and the weather has to be nice. I think I might start by getting some propper gear so I can ride in all types of weather

10. my other half has a cbr 600... I cant even get my leg over it :grin:
  11. just get a running start and jump :p
  12. Had a good look at a Kawasaki ER-6F yesterday and not only is the seat very low (think it's around 780mm) but it's also fairly narrow so is probably worth a look if you're planning on buying new - also worth checking out the ZZR-600, think you can still buy one new and there's plenty of used ones around.
  13. Agree 100% on this with banditR1
    I'm only 5'2 had the bike lowered & seat redone. Hell even took my boots into a very good shoe repairer in Albury & put a little extra on boots. Now Im so much more comfortable & confident on it, the weight you will get use to. Takes time.
  14. the run and jump start is a great idea... so is adding an extra few inches to my boots!!!

Looking at a second hand bike, so I will look at the zzr-600. thanks for the tip.

15. Lowering is an option but it changes the geometry of the rear suspension, usually to a negative extent.
    Cut the seat down if you must, but what's the point of owning a supersport if you're just going to turn it into a tourer? Because that's effectively what's achieved by using longer dogbones in the suspension.
    If you're under 60kg then most sportbike suspensions will be too stiff. The right springs will allow the suspension to settle correctly for your weight. Ideally if you're going to change the springs then you should revalve or atleast modify the valves.
    Don't pay much attention to static seat heights. It's quite irrelevant if you're not taking into account the riders weight. The manufacturers aim for a 'typical' rider + gear weight of 75-90kg. Much either side of that and the bike just won't handle like it should. You can only adjust preload so much.

If you want something sporty and light. Get an Aprilia RS250. It's very small, designed for jockey style GP riders. You'll be able to throw it around like a sportbike should. The power given your lesser bodyweight will keep it with 600s. The only negative is it's a 2 stroke so peak power is delivered in a 1500-2000rpm band just before the rev limit. This can cause concern for new riders. But if you keep the revs low till you get confident it won't be an issue.
    It will cost you $160-180 for fork springs and $80-100 for a shock spring. A good suspension tuner will charge about 2 hours labour so it shouldn't cost you more than $400.
    2 strokes are cheap and easy to maintain but do require frequent work. It is a race bike with lights after all.
  16. Cheers, thanks for the tips, but I have no clue on the mechanics of bikes... or cars for that matter (although i did just learn to give my bike a service). Looks like i'll have to go shopping and go and sit on some bikes, which i dont think is a bad thing.

Saw the ZZR600-nice :)
  17. For what it's worth, a fair few people can't sit flat footed on their bikes.
    I am relatively short in the legs, but am 6ft tall, and I can't put both feet down flat on the ground on the GTR. I can rest one foot flat, with the bike leant over slightly though.
    Having come from the Z, where I could put both feet down flat, it was initially disconcerting, but you get used to it. The initial feeling is"oh my god, this thing wil tip over if it goes the other way" because your other foot is not on the ground, but you soon realise that if your other foot is out there, it will touch down soon enough! The GTR also presents the problem that it's so big and top heavy that once it gets a sniff of going down, it really takes a liking to the idea! You learn to lock your knees when moving it around! A couple of times the pannier has touched something beside me and held me up, only on gravel though. I am learning to push it around whilst not on the bike.
    So, it's probably something that within reason, you wil get used to I reckon.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. hi minimatron,

im a shorty to (5'3"). a bloke at my work owns a 2001 zzr600, he is about my height (definently no taller) and he fits on it perfectly.