Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shorty Can

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by toar_rl, Mar 29, 2007.

1. hi all, i had an off about a month ago, the end cap that joins to the middle pipe was a little crumpled, and the carbon fiber is torn.

My mate (boiler maker) straightened out the end cap so now in need to cut the carbon fibre, and internal parts and re-rivit it. Have left it with my mechanic but i beleive its not a priority as i've been waiting a week just for a quote.

any tips on doing it myself?

also the inside foam stuff is all stuffed (burnt) where can i get some new foam?

any advice would be great...

also are exhausts bike specific, why? i mean considering its a side mounted one, arn't they all the same, especially since mine is a slip on, i can only assume other slip ons that have the same diameter piping would just slip right on?

also i notice some bolt on cans come with the middle pipe bit, is it a big job?

for example i have a k1 gixa 1000, would this fit: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31275 ?
    trying to weigh up my options, thanks all
  2. if youre interested Im about to do one... You can keep the carbon too. The foam is known as exhuast packaging. Check out this link:

the same works for carbon. If you want it done, you can come past and I'll do both at ounce. I'll be out in essendon when I do it.

If you were going to re-carbon it, it would cost similair to a good secondhand one.
  3. aftermarket cans are generally very easy to shorten. the instructions are pretty much spot on.

shortening a stock can is tricky. the honda cans generally have 2/3 baffled chambers.