Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

shorting/open circuit problem??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by vaggelis, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Hi all, i wonder if anyone can help me with this...

my bike suddenly started losing charge overnight, replaced the battery.. same thing, checked to see if its charging properly when on i get 14.2v@5000rpm

then i took the negative terminal off and turned it to off position and its draining 20mA??? what could be causing this?

any ideas on what to check next would help!!

bike is a vtr250 06 model

2. Start carefully disconnecting things &/or pulling fuses until the problem disappears, this will give you an idea of where to actually look for the problem.
  3. took all the accessories fuses out still leaking...

also checked resistance on between negative lead and stand its about 0.3ohms which sounds pretty normal to me?? this is pissing me off bigtime!!

losing about 60mA through negative..
  4. Disconnect regulator and see if it is still drawing current. I have seen regulators keeping field coils in the alternator powered up.
  5. +1, my money's on the regulator.
  6. correct!! no current drawn when reg/rec is disco'ed!!! also finding that none of the wires that connect to the reg/rec go to body earth(apparently the green wire is meant to?) would this cause the leak?

Thanks for your help guys appreciated greatly!