Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shortening Exhaust Pipe

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by resonator, Jan 8, 2008.

1. I've kinked my exhaust pipe about 5 cm before the muffler bolts on. I can replace the pipe for around $250 or I can cut the kinked part of the pipe out and weld the flang back on, shortening the pipe by about 10cm. This I can get my old man to do for me which will cost me nothing.

Should I do it, or cut my losses and by another pipe? Another option which I've already ruled out is taking it to someone to replace the kinked piece of metal with a staight one, but the will cost more in labour than I'll save.

By the way, I'm changing the muffler and planing on dyno tuning it after as well.

2. If it's just pipe why not just take it to a regular exhaust shop and have them weld a new pipe in the same as the old one? We used to do this sort of stuff when I was making exhausts, is very easy and if done well you couldn't tell it from new.

3. what i did was get a grinder and cut away the dent area completly

then go to a muffler shop buy buy some matching pip like 10cm 10$

cut out the missing piece out of the new pipe.

clean the edges

weld it back on with a tig/mid

grind it back

sand
    ect

4. Whats wrong with having a 'kinky' pipe on your bike anyways?
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

5. I was told by a dude at a motorbike exhaust shop that it would cost more in labour than it would to replace... It's starting to sound like he just didn't want to do it.

I've been put onto a regular exhaust shop that might do it, so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

6. Can it be arc welded? It looks like steel to me. btw, it's a cbr250rr.

7. There's an exhaust shop out my way that would do it, and at a reasonable price.

8. can be arc welded just makes sure is set to low enough with thin rods, otherwise u will burn ugly holes through it, anyone who has welded thin metals will now what to do.

Its just easier (for me at least) to do it on a mig