Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'Short Shifters'

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by entheos, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I did a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for so here goes...

With my 5pd Falcon I was able to buy a short throw Billet shift kit that halved the 'throw' of the shift. I.e. 1st - 2nd would've been 20cm long, but with the shifter 1st - 2nd was only 10cm thus making the shift faster and easier to keep good power down...

I've noticed that my gear selector lever seems to be a longer shift than I would like...it seems that my new K2 GSXR600 is not much different to my 88 GPX250, but my mates CB400 when I rode it a while back it seemed that the shift was far shorter...

My question is, can you get a 'short shift kit' or is there a way of adjusting how far it is between gears?

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. You could drill another hole in the gear lever, then move the selector closer to your peg.

Voilà! DYI short shifter! :wink:

Seriously, should there be much of a "loss" of power in the gear change? You could just cut out the middle man and not use the clutch...

3. You could fit a poorboy airshifter. That is, a button on the bars that momentarily kills the ignition and so lets you change up without releasing the throttle.

But yes, you can reduce shift throw by either shortening the lever or playing with the lever ratios in any linkage you might have.

4. There will be less feel with a short-shifter... just something to keep in mind.

Cheers, Scott

5. Often when the gearbox feels loose and there seems to be a long way between gears, it's because the chain is getting a touch too loose. Have you adjusted it properly? Suzuki are known for making some of the best gearboxes around.

If you really want to be fooli sik like in your Falcon maaaaate then you can get a quickshifter, yes. Possibly one of the least relevant mods a road rider can make to his bike.