Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Short Bike Trip to Tassie

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Danesh, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Hi All,

As the title suggests planning a 3-4 day Tassie trip over Easter. I have been through most of the previous threads but still have some questions. Ok so here we go:

1. Probably going with another mate of mine who is a fairly new rider (2 months). Would you recommend us going with an organised company or planning it out on our own. (I generally would prefer planning on my own)

2. Any suggested source/site which could help me make an itenary.

3. Are 2-3 days enough for a short trip to Tassie?

4. If not Tassie any suggestions for a 2-3 day trip around Victoria?

Keep in mind, this is the first bike tour/trip for both of us, however we have been doing weekly all-day rides.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi DaneshDanesh , 2-3 days in Tassie would just be a tease leaving you frustrated that you did not have more time to play. However if that's all you can spare I would recommend planning your own trip with local advice (from here) and just select a region and do it properly so you can maximise your riding pleasure. i.e. the East + North East qtr or Southern region or West + North West or North + central highlands.

I would also suggest picking a rural regional town as your base so you can leave your luggage for the trip duration and not be packing and dragging luggage all the time. This plan also avoids all the delays and anxst of city traffic allowing you maximum ride time in the fun zone. - Avoid The Bass and Midlands Highways if you can - boring as bat shit unless you are a straight road warrior and if you are then stick to the big island - Tassie will scare you with it's surplus of twisty roads and mountain passes.

Lots of Netrider folk have played down here so feel free to ask advice. If it's East + North East hit me for info. am based central East - Swansea
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #3 technocynic, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    I've only been to Tassie once and we had 10 days on the bikes which was just not enough. (but I do have the cap that features in East Coast CruiserEast Coast Cruiser's avatar :) )

For 2-3 days I'd not try to cover too much of the island. Tassie packs a lot into relatively short distances. Either stick with the North (Devonport, Penguin, Cradle Mountain, Launceston areas) or over to the East from Launceston to Coles Bay or thereabouts. A really good road was Lake Leake Hwy near Swansea. The Pieman Rd over near Cradle Mountain was another favourite. Both of these were almost deserted and had fantastic sweepers.

organising the trip ourselves was pretty easy, albeit aided by advice on another forum that has nothing to do with bikes

Don't forget to try a scallop pie while you're there

(my avatar pic is taken in Tassie, at Grandvewe Cheeses, south of Hobart)

If you want to ride in Vic, you can't go past the North East, eg Melbourne - Mansfield - Bright - Mt Hotham - Mitta Mitta - Mt Beauty - Falls Creek - Bruthen or part thereof
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2-3 days is not long enough and you could save $ and stay local. Easter time and all roads will have tourists, can you take your leave mid week?
  5. #5 cjvfr, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    I have to agree with the general consensus above, Tassie and you deserve more. It is a wonderful riding destination but 4 days will just leave you frustrated and hungering for more. Leave Tassie for a time when you can devote 7 - 10 days to the experience.

I would suggest a Victorian Alpine Trip

Day 1: Melbourne via the Whitfield run, Bright, Falls Creek Omeo
    Day 2: Omeo, Anglers Rest, Mitta Mitta, Tangambalanga, Mt Beauty, Bogong High PLains Road, Anglers Rest and back to Omeo for the night.
    Day 3: Omeo, Bairnsdale, Maffra, Noojee, Powelltown, Launching place, Melbourne

This route gives you two nights in Omeo and different routes each day. You could leave your luggage at the hotel in Omeo on the second day and travel light. Then pick it up for the trip home on the third day.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. It IS possible to make a decent trip out of three days in one part of Tassie, but it's a fair bit of money per km.
    You also need the weather on your side for a short trip.
    If you're new to touring I would agree with Cjvfr and suggest you learn the ropes on a trip or two to the high country or similar.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gentlemen, firstly thanks for the quick response. I love the people on this forum!!

Ok so after reading through all your suggestions I have decided that a shorter trip in an around Victoria would be better the way to go. I'm not the kind of person who likes to rush things, also the Easter traffic is not something I though about. So the beautiful twisties of Tassie will be saved for another time.

Also Cjvfr I'm gonna plan something around what you suggested, thanks for that.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. As mentioned this could be fairly expensive for just a couple of days,you're looking at over $600 in SoT ferry costs alone depending on your sailing dates and cabins.

If it was me I'd save up my dosh and holidays and plan something like a week or 10 days to get your money's worth, Tassie is a lot bigger than you think, heaps to do as shown in NedNed latest tour troupe.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. That is an excellent 3 day ride plan. Way better than having 3 days in Tassie. I've had 11 and 14 days down there and still need to go back and ride the stuff I've missed out on.
  10. I would suggest riding the Great Alpine route first for a 3-4 day trip, NedNed and i often go there at least once a month. You can check out the places we've been through here on my thread.Its a beautiful area,gives you and your mate a taste of different kind of roads. I just came back from Tassie with the group ..8 days was no where near enough for us, there was still lots more to see :)