Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shoei XR-1100 Chin Strap and Adam's Apple

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Sitting Bull, Jul 12, 2012.

1. My very own first brand new road helmet arrived today, a matt black Shoei XR-1100. The helmet fits perfectly and is going to be very comfortable when broken in. My only gripe is with the chin-strap causing discomfort in the adam's apple region. I do have quite a protrusive adam's apple but I've never felt this with any other helmet I've had on before. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their XR-1100 or am I doing something wrong somewhere? How tight should I have the strap? It's not too bad if I have the strap fairly loose but it still digs in when I put my head down a bit.

2. Mine's fine.
    Face it,,,,you're a freak!! :rofl: :bolt:
  3. The absolute golden rule with helmets is try them on for any fit issues....

Certain brands can be crap for specific head shapes, cheek pads can be too tight (although often you can get different sizes), nose guards can touch you on the nose, straps can be uncomfortable, weight can be too much, etc etc..

Did you buy this helmet based on trying the fit or just cos the price was good???

Street may be right!!!
  4. I tried one on the same size at the local bike shop but didn't think to do the strap up. Never thought it would be an issue as long as the helmet was comfortable, and it was the most comfortable one I tried on out of quite a few. As I said, this has never been an issue before with any other helmet I've had on.
  5. You should be able to get two fingers under the strap with relative ease, it sounds like perhaps you have it tight.
  6. The local bike shop actually offered to sell me their only medium XR-1100 in a discontinued colour for $650, which is what I paid for the matt black. I specifically wanted a matt black one which no-one around here stocked.
  7. No trouble with mine.
  8. Mines fine too.
  9. Hmmm

With mine it depends on how i have put the helmet on and in what spot. If i have it down hard and eyes really towards the top so the chin guard is low then the strap can be an issue. If i have it centreed then no issue.

Play around till you find out what works for you.
  10. Yeah thanks mate, moving it about worked a treat. I test rode a bike this morning and managed to get the strap very comfortable whilst in the riding position, no worries at all. Really impressed with the helmet. I got a bit of peripheral fogging which was intermittent with breathing, I had all the vents open so I reckon to invest in the anti-fog insert down the track.
  11. Hi
    Glad it worked out. Padlock inserts work well and your helmet should already be set up to put one in.
    Enjoy, Jeremy