Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shoei X-12

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by spoonta, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Does anyone know where I can pick up a not too expensive X-12?

and if i am to buy overseas, how to i get that "sticker" to make the helmet legal?

Thanks all!
  2. inb4 popcorn.
  3. u hear you can get x-12's and xr1100's imported from pakistan for $50 each
    and cops usually keep a secret stash of AS stickers but you gotta know the codeword or they deny everything
  4. the codeword must be accompanied by 'the handshake'
  5. obviously.. i can't really give them a "handshake" just like that...
    or i end up in the nice "fish tank"....
  6. Well you've just posted on a public internet forum your desire to import and use an illegal helmet with a fake compliance sticker...a handshake is the least of your worries :D
  7. You guys always sarcastically rip into people

maybe he just wanted to know how to make an imported helmet compliant? And if there was such a process that he could follow?

Then again maybe not

PGriz aka SirG aka GrizIT - via Tapatalk
  8. Technically none of us are probably meeting the legal requirements for helmets. Just saying.

There may be other laws broken from time to time by riders, I've noticed. Not sure if anyone else is aware. Sorry to open a can or worms but I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between an X-11/12 and an aftermarket exhaust or fender eliminator.
  9. Codeword is "oink oink" in case you were wondering...

Anyway, buy the helmet locally and deal with the cost. You can make up for it by buying the rest of your gear over seas if it upsets you that much.
  10. is oink oink for real?!?

gear in aussie land is crazily exp ><
  11. That's only part of the signal
    You also have to use a finger to squash the tip of your nose a little as you do it.
  12. the hand shake is something like from the Stone Masons
  13. i want a X-12!!!!

so expensive tho
  14. so is the repair bill if you prang without an AS helmet. pretty sure no insurer will pay out if you missing that sticker. not to mention constable plod popping you for not wearing a helmet (even though you are)
  15. try here

I found them to be cheapest in Aus when I got my X12. Not regreted upgrading from KBC VR2 to shoei X12 best thing I ever did. Sure it cost an arm and leg but the comfort and what you get is worth it. I thought a helmet is a helmet when wore plenty in the past as long as it had the AS sticker on it but the engineering into it is amazing. Head checks at blistering speeds on my GSXR1000 is a not an issue you don't get that catching of head wind when you turn your head.
  16. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by that?
  17. In 2003 the federal government split Standards Australia into two with SAI Global being the certification business side of it. The old Standards Australian Certification mark had been allowed to lapse in 1998 and the SAI Global sticker is not the same thing as it.

in 1999, the Australian National Road rules stated you must wear an approved helmet but only Qld and NT adequately define what that means - the helmet complies with AS 1698. Note it doesnt need to be certified, just compliant.

In all other states and territories the word 'approved' is defined by the Fair Trading Act to mean 'approved for sale'.

In Vic, SA, WA, Tas, ACT the requirement is to wear a helmet that has the Australian Standards Mark or "marked with an official standards mark certifying compliance with the relevant Standard". The legal reality is that there is no official standards mark. In 1990 the federal government removed the requirement for an external Certification Mark. Therefore, helmets in these jurisdictions cannot meet this requirement.

In NSW a law was passed in 2010 requiring helmets to be certified to AS 1698 by only companies themselves accredited by a third party, JAS-ANZ. You can't really tell if your helmet meets this.

Its all pretty confusing. See 2Wheels Sept 2011 for more detailed info.
  18. shhuttttt up....... its a secert......

No Homers
  19. xr1100 is just as good and less expensive.