Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shoe / to protection?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Mr Luke, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ok, so now and again I ride into work. In my line of work I have to wear a suit to work. I also wear (expensive, hand made, soft Italian) leather dress shoes with my suit.

My problem is that the gear lever scuffs up and damages the top of my left shoe. Same on the weekends, if I'm riding somewhere and I'm wearing trainers (especially if they are like orange or yellow or white), they get marked up and wrecked by the gear shift lever. This is having a negative impact on my life and general health and well being.

My brother tells me they sell these things in Italy that have elastic on the bottom and hard plastic on the top to slide over your left shoe for instances like this. But apparently no one sells these in Australia? I called a few places and they were like "Um, what are you on about you strange little man?".

I did some googling and it looks like they sell 2 products in the States, Sneaker Skinz I think they are called and there is one that goes on your shoe, or a neoprene sheath that goes over the shifting lever (kind of like a condom, but without the lube etc. And its made of neoprene).

1. Does anyone else have this problem?
    2. Is there a local solution? Ordering small stuff from the states is a pain in the @ss.

2. Not half as much as having a major foot injury, which is what tends to happen when you fall off when not wearing decent boots.

Your choice, of course, but I can hear the nannas circling already.
  3. Ride a scooter like the rest of the suited city runners who don't care about their skin.

Gear lever problem solved. :p

Edit: Rather than just being a smart arse I thought I should offer a real suggestion.... Boots and a backpack.
  4. What's your gear lever made of? Mine has a rubber coating over the knobbly bit and it only tends to leave a mark on the shoe if I've polished it recently. My dress shoes are just $100 and something from Tarocash though so probably a bit tougher skin.

If yours is just steel, maybe you could find a similar replacement with a rubber coat?

5. i agree with all of that
  6. and i agree with all of this
  7. I used to wear a suit & tie. Either a backpack or tail bag / rack + bag for the good gear and bike gear for riding.
  8. Why don't you try those shoe protectors the geezers use in "Snatch". Should be perfect in your situation.
  9. I've considered this, basically the costs v benefits/risks v returns analysis or rather the factors mitigating against the use of proper protection goes something like this:

1. I only live 4kms from the city where I work, so less kms means less chance of an accident. If I lived 6m from work, the chance of an accident would be almost nil. Agree?

2. Given that my hand made fine wool suits don't have knee sliders on them, I don't go that fast on my way to work and I'm extra careful given the lack of protection. Again reducing the risk of a fall to the extent that it is able to be reduced. I struggle to fathom how anyone crashes when travelling at the speed limit. But that's a discussion for another day.

3. I'm a really good rider (this is a joke, don't fire up. I like jokes). Plus someone told me I smell nice the other day (this is not a joke, she seriously walked past my office and said, "Hey, you smell good").

4. There is only so much stuff I can carry into work. I sometimes already take lunch, stuff for the gym after work. So my massive Sidi race boots are really getting inconvenient. If I don't have my suit jacket on, I wear my leather jacket and gloves.

So yes I understand others may, in the circumstances, make a different choice, however in light of the above I've settled with my choice having complete regard to the likelihood of an accident (quite low in my opinion in light of the above), the severity of any accident if it should occur (again, minor, in light of the above, most probably almost at walking speed), the inconvenience of doing things to mitigate the risks (huge, in my opinion). I accept the risks that come with riding a motorcycle and I accept the arguably heightened risks that come with wearing work clothes and not motorcycle gear when riding to work. I'm not a complainer or a finger pointer (yes I know, unusual hey?) I cop things on the chin.

So does anyone know where to buy these toe thingies? =D>

Locky28 - I have a rubber knob on the shifter too. I'm pretty anal about shiny work shoes / clean trainers.
  10. I struggle to fathom how anyone who's been riding on the road for any length of time can seriously make this statement.

Still, you've obviously at least thought about it and, like I said, it's your choice.

I'm surprised you haven't been flamed worse though :grin:.
  11. FAIL.

Fvck this I'm going to get my Nan.
  12. Surely if it's only 4ks and you don't speed you could just keep it in first the whole way..

13. Wow... My friend had a car do a u-turn right in front of him, he was doing 55 in a 60 zone, and had no chance to swerve. The car "didn't see him". Oh, he lives 2 k's from work.

He's now not been able to work for the past two years due to the injuries he sustained, including severe memory loss and didn't know whom his family was for about 4 months, let alone his close friends or work colleagues.
  14. sad story, and I bet he was wearing more than a suit and toe protectors!
  15. Thinking about it, all my significant crashes have occurred at or below the speed limit. In only one was I "at fault", as th authorities so charmingly put it.
  16. Re: Shoe / toe protection?

To clarify, this quote:
    Was immediately preceded by this:
    I wasn't sufficiently clear but that statement about crashing at the speed limit meant being at fault and crashing i.e. travelling at 60 kph and then woops into a power pole etc. Someone crashing into you is an undiversifiable risk. You can do very little to mitigate it, save for not riding. So can I amend my initial quote to read:

Wow this is like having an argument with my ex-girlfriend. She used to disect every single thing I said. I then employed what I call the 'ignore' technique. Where I ignored her until she got over it and then we had make up s..... sandwiches. Only kidding I love you guys. Thank you for the comments.

tc2233 - You get 2 gold stars for your answer. I will check that website out.

I adjusted the pressure plates on my clutch last weekend. I'm just putting it out there. The bike snicks right into gear sweetly now and there is no massive thud when I put it into first (except when I've just started it and its all still cold and sad).
  17. Well, there is actually. Quite a few things. One of which is to attempt to mitigate the consequences by wearing suitable protective gear. Which you don't want to do. Fair enough.
  18. This is what my real granny used to say, "don't worry about yourself on the road, it's all the other billy goats you've got to look out for"

Said rider could be travelling at a snails pace to work, does that protect you against the drunk driver in a stolen car travelling at twice the speed limit.?