Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

shite scared

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by stanga169, Dec 21, 2008.

1. im a newbie who is booked in for l's on jan 4 and have purchased a honda 250 xl which is a trail bike which is road ridable and have been up bush on it a few times and the place where i work has 8 acres of grden/farmland to ride. i get comfortable with the bike and the way it handles and always seem to nearly come off or do by pushing my limits. i worry that i am maybe just not up to riding on the road, if i am coming off in the dirt where i dont get over 70 ks and i have knobby tires that grip in the dirt, how can i expect to handle being in traffic with all the things that i have to concentrate on and distractions. i am going to put the closest thing to slicks as i can on the bike as i will be riding 200 ks a week on the black stuff to and from work to help me grip better on the road but i am truely worried about whether it is for me . before my last off which was two days ago where i was coming down a hill in soft dirt bit to hard on the front break and when over the bars basically landed fully on my chest then nose(no safety gear at all which is stupid i know and have learnt from) was winded to all hell but still mangaged to get up and act like nothing was wrong before my mate rode along(funny how we do that) , i felt that i was coming along with my skills with handling my bike really well but now im not so sure. i think about it now and and relise that i relaxed way too much and it came back to bite me on the ass big time.

2. Take it slowly and practice your skills.

The fact that you are aware you aren't on a sports bike with super sticky tyres is a good thing. It shows you recognise limits. Now just stay within them while you are building skills.

You'll get there.
  3. Mate I've been riding since I was 8 but almost every time I get on a dirt bike I get pitched off.
    Usually doing something silly or (trying too). :roll:

On the road you just have to be smooth although with a XL250 I dont know if its capable of doing anything sudden :LOL:
  4. like the others said. on the road you don't need to push the limits like the dirt.

oh and just consider yourself lucky i wish i had 8 acres out in the bush.

once you get to know the mainplayers here, make sure you invite some guys up to hit the dirt ;)
  5. an xl 250 is basically a baby xr its a four stroke and has not a lot of power at all i know my behaviour will change on the road to the dirt but it still worries me
  6. ha i would love to invite people up to ride but i think the owners of the place might have a thing or two to say about it , some people from melbourne's east might know it its called clover cottage and its a restaurant in berwick the property is 8 acres in total, 5 being paddacks and hilly runs the rest being manicured english gardens
  7. hey mate i used to have a 82 XL250R

mad fun bikes. dirt, especially sand, is harder to ride in and requires different skills to road riding, just take it easy till you adapt and you'll be fine
  8. You'll probably learn a lot of basics at your L's course. Might be a few different ways of doing things that help you out?
    Dont work yourself up getting nervous, jsut take a deep breath, and if you start feeling frazzled pull over. Start with a short trip, and see how ya feel! It took me a quite a few short trips to work my confidence up to a big trip, but never had an issue after that! I was convinced i was gonna stall the bike, but didnt!
    Good luck with it!
  9. i had a problem using my rear brake too much and i would fishtail a lot during the wet..better watch that.

i would recommend reading keith codes twist of the wrist
  10. Give it a go, haven't ridden dirt so I can't comment on a comparison - best just to try road riding and see how you feel.

No don't do that, you're describing 'race' tyres as in barely road legal - they take alot to heat up because they're designed to run at normal temp at high speed eg racetrack, and often have poor water dispersal so are crap in the rain.

So instead, get some sport or sport touring tyres :)
  11. iv been riding dirt bikes for about 8 years, and just had my first shot on a road bike a few weeks ago, its a whole new thing. just get out and have a go, take it easy and stay on side streets for a little bit until you build up some confidence.
  12. LOL yes DO NOT invite people to ride at clover cottage! How do you get to ride your bike there all day? wouldnt want to rip through those gardens!

As others have said, im sure riding on the road is completely different than the dirt, so just take it easy. Berwick High carpark on a saturday or sunday evening is a good place to practice your slow riding skills. If you want to go for short rides with someone else to get more comfortable on the road just PM me, im a local... well my bike lives out there anywho :)

13. I rode a 1974 Honda XL350 on sand, dirt, gravel, mud, in creek beds, up and over mountains . . . and through Melbourne traffic for a year, all on worn out nobby tyres. All before the age of 19.

While riding a road bike on bitumen is completely different to riding a trail bike on dirt, riding an XL250 in Melbourne traffic would just be a hoot. They handle well (better than my 350) and are skinny enough to easily split between traffic. They would get away from lights faster than most cars, even though they don't have much power.

Sure, you have to adjust your riding style. But at the same time, bitumen doesn't move the bike around like gravel or sand. There is no reason to fear falling off, unless you do something stupid. Falling off on dirt is normal, on bitumen it is not.

The main thing to do is be way more aware of the surrounding vehicles. They are what may bring you grief, not your riding skills, if you have any at all. Oh, and on a small bike like that, ride defensively (as we all need to do) but also be very assertive, and get the hell away from the idiots before they can cause you trouble. But don't take silly risks. Also, never, ever ride to the left of a vehicle in the left most lane, or to the right of a vehicle in the rightmost lane. Never ever, for any reason (including using bicycle lanes), no matter what anyone tells you. Other drivers don't expect you to be in those positions, and that can lead to a mishap.

But most of all enjoy it.
  14. not so shit scared anymore

been riding with more confidence lately been reading heaps of stuff on the gentle art of letting the bike do what it is built to do and that seems to be working. Just going with the flow really not trying to do to much just enjoying it.
    Kate would love to have a ride over at the school to practice slow turns that sort of stuff but with work i only really get about an hour a day to do so and that changes all the time so its hard to really commit to a time i have mondays and tuesdays off so maybe on one of them we could do the run up to emerald and back down thru harkaway or something
  15. What your doing is by far the best training available,the place to develop riding skills is on the dirt,just ask EVER world champion rider for the last 50 years,there is no better way to learn slide control brake control or throttle control period,the only thing you are missing is experience in traffic,and that takes time,2 big lesions,make space around yourself and EVERONE is out to kill you,you sound like your got your head screwed on right,you will be fine.