Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shitbox rally fundraising

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by seefu, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Hi guys!

In May 2014, my partner and I will be doing the Shitbox Rally.
    It is a journey from Perth to Darwin via the Pilbara and Kimberleys but the catch is we’ll be using a car worth less than $1000. It will take us 7 days and thousands of kilometres on unsealed roads with water crossings and camping along the way. At the end of it all, when it gets to Darwin, the car will be auctioned off to raise further funds for charity!

To participate in it, we need to fundraise $4000. It is a charity event so donations will be going to the Cancer Council NSW and donating on the website will give you a receipt for tax deductions next year.

To donate just click on the following link: https://shitboxrally2014.everydayhero.com/au/natural-selection

If you know anyone who would like to sponsor us, we’d be more than happy to also emblazon their logo on the car.

The car we will be using is a 1990 Toyota Camry SV21 CS. It's a car I know very well, engine-wise, which is why it was my choice for car.

We are having a bit of a struggle with fundraising so I'm reaching out to anywhere I can. Any donations will be greatly appreciated. Sponsorship will help too!

Cheers, Sandy
  2. 1990 Toyota Camry SV21 CS.

LOL, that was my first car! Bought for $850, under-steered at 40km/h in the wet. Blew two holes in the engine block within the first month.

But I wish you luck with the fundraising, sounds like a fun event for a good cause.

Hopefully your car is more reliable than mine was.
  3. Thanks mattizie.

We've actually had the car since 1998 when we bought it with only 16000km (8 year old car with 16000km, was immaculate).

Since then we've brought it up to 290000km. The main issue we have with the car is water ingress into the distributor which essentially has the ability to stall the car (not very good since we're going through river crossings); which we will need to sort out.

Other than that, it's never had any main issues, just the usual sump plug for the gear box rattling out and dropping all its oil, alternator dying, fuel pump dying, starter motor dying.

Just means I'll have to prepare better for bringing spares!