Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shipping bike to United States

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by bodyfann, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hi,

Does anyone have experience shipping a bike from Australia (Sydney) to US? I am moving overseas and I'm considering taking it with me.

How much should I expect to pay? Do you have any website/company you would recommend?

2. i priced up a Goldwing to bring out to australia as the prices to the GWs are a disgrace here in australia... it was going to cost around $1500

it has to go through customs and everything but the right shipping company will do it's own customs...

so to buy a brand new Goldwing off an american dealer (who has made his cut) then shipping it out here to australia was giong to cost me under $25,000 AU but the sons of bitches [aust authorities] wouldn't let me do it as they HAVE to protect the australian market... :roll:

i think that it had to be pre 1988 or i had to have lived and owned the goldwing in the US for 12 months to have been able to bring it into Aust

but consider this, I could have brought one into aust for under 25k including shipping and the dealer making his profit etc and yet they sell on the Australian market for $40,000 plus on road costs … someone is getting filthy stinking rich on the back of these bikes :mad:

hope that helped :grin:
  3. Sell it and buy one over there.

Seriously. Bikes are cheap as in the US, and so are the bling bits.

EDIT: and buy some goldwings, store then then bring them to AUS in a year, sell privately and profit :p
  4. At the end I have followed Harte's suggestion and sold it here.

I got a couple of quotes and the cheapest one was for $1200 AUD, excluding the costs in the US. I guess all together would be between $2000 and $2500 which is one third of the bike's value.

It may be worth for more pricey bikes, like Firetiger's Goldwing, especially if you do the route in the other direction.

Thanks all for the help!
  5. I'll remember that:
    Buy Goldwing ... ??? ... profit.

Nice :grin:
  6. i should have kept my mouth shut... don't you dare steal my easy money... *shakes fists* :mad:
  7. Good choice. As someone who's imported a bike into the US, you DON'T want to go through the hassle anyway. (especially for bikes less than 30 years old -- the cost to convert everything to make it roadworthy to register is massive)