Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shipping an Engine from Japan?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by QuarterWit, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I'd been hunting for a cheap SR400 engine for a month or two now with no luck. I managed to contact a mate in Japan who is willing to sell me is currently-running engine for... Wait for it... $100.00.

The only issue is he's contacted a shipping company and been quoted $2200 for shipping.

Does anybody know of any freight forwarders that do the Japan-Australia thing? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. Maybe try one of the grey importers. They have a container coming in regularly and they might have some space for a relatively small sum.
  3. Thanks Ibast. Might be worth a try, but I've had bad experiences with gray importers in the past. Worth a shot anyway!
  4. Maybe give the guys from importmonster dot com dot au a call. Their business is to ship bits and bobs from Japan. Their freight seems reasonable.
  5. Call some freight forwarders and see if you can piggy back the engine onto a pallet or the like consignment.
    I used to do that when shipping stuff from o/s.

Good luck.