Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Shiny red light beam

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by yardman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Riding to the gym this morning in the dark at about 05:30. As I round a gentle bend and start heading up an incline when there appears a red beam of light that flicks across my visor twice, maybe three times - less than a seconds worth of flitting light but enough to vaguely dazzle me for a moment.

I note it came from the footpath area and scan for the danger, there it is, a mobile speed trap van parked on a grass verge. I’m conscious of being ticketed and had just checked my speedo read out of 64kph, which given the tolerances should be about right for the 60kph zone I was in.

But, what was this light - a targeting tool, or the flash of the camera?

I believe these units are manned and require a person to paint the "innocent until proven guilty" speeder with a laser. If so, I think it’s a pretty dubious practice to choose the visor as a target area… But, safety first, after all ever K over is a KILLER.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Good question, LIDAR which is the laser version of speed detection generally uses 904nM wavelength which is beyond human visibility in the Infra-red. It may have been a visible targetting laser rather than the acquisition beam. Usually though they just have visible sights like a gun sight.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. That is a question I would be asking in official circles. That could be very dangerous!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I had a similar incident riding through stones corner, it actually blinded me temporarily. I thought of pulling over and having words with the operator but thought better of it as I may have been pushing the speed limit.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. #6 Al_Cam, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I agree. Quiet worrying. How did something like that get approved for use? Is there an approval process? The tool is designed to be pointed in the direction of oncoming vehicles and hence people's eyes. Surely you can't depend on the operator being careful?

Or does Yardman have super powers?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Been reading and a few things stand out.

Firstly, the laser variant of the speed gun are intended to be fired at the rego plate as it provides the best reflective surface. So, what's the policy for bikes since there is no front plate? I'm thinking they see the lid as far game...

Secondly, this laser beam is beyond the red spectrum of the human eye. But, I picked it 100% otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the van. So, perhaps darkness plus visor had a compounding effect in making it visible through refraction.

Wait and see what the auspost man brings in the coming weeks. I'd hate to complain only to then identify myself as the rogue speeder of 5:30 on a dark Monday morning.

Also, if I had super powers I wouldn't waste my time going to the gym! :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I share your suspicions about the visor having an affect on the beam, perhaps something that glass windscreens don't do but the treated plastic visor does....? Definitely worth raising as a safety issue, and I'd hit up the facebook page of RACQ to see if they take it up as a safety issue worth an article.
  8. As the laser frequency is higher than the human visible spectrum, my guess is that it's probably something to do with the photo camera's aiming (focusing) LED.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's what I'm thinking too. The "safety camera" operator doesn't aim.He just sits there and minds the preset equipment, unless he falls asleep. I reckon it's the camera's focusing beam, mine has one.
  10. Explains why it was out at 5:30am, probably fell asleep at 11pm!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Camera's LED for focusing could be about right, detected the visor surface as the most reflective area, ergo considered it a rego plate.
  12. Considering all the resultant safety related hue and cry when some knobhead aims a laser pointer at an aircraft cockpit, I would think that aiming any similar such device straight into the eyes of the driver or rider traveling down the road should be treated just as seriously on safety grounds, as well as the potential for eye damage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fully agree Gunissan.
    If someone or something deliberately pointed a laser directly into my field of view, it would make my blood boil. I'd probably perceive it as an attack and proceed to ̶b̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶p̶ make the area safe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Since it was pitch dark and you the only one on the road, perhaps the camera was for possums, but hey safety first :) ... Let us know of the answer re that glare, because I also see these vans hiding in very camouflaged safety spots that lots of possums seem to frequent, especially at night.
  15. Perhaps a well worded letter to the commissioner or Minister may get a response.