Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shinko Tyres

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Sir Skuffy, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Well, I have ridden the bike harder than before on the Shinko tyres and after a few thousand km's have come to the conclusion that they are not for me. Now, this is my personal view.

I have them on a GSX1400 which is not a light bike. I ride the bike agressively, but controlled and discovered a limiting factor to my riding style. They heat up quickly and then go off when too hot. The front feels as though they are rolling off of the rim when the tyres become hot. It is not a pressure issue as the pressure when warm was 36pounds.

As a touring tyre, excellent, but not as a sport tyre for a heavier bike.

Anyway, just a heads up.

2. Doh! Changed your tune skuff. You were singing their praises a while ago. I was going to give them a shot based on your thoughts, but now Im not so sure. I think Ill stick with the diablos as my next set, then the michelins after that, then the avons. That will complete my tyre test, and Ill go back to the ones I liked the best (which currently stands at Dunlop D208f's)
  3. I am putting on some Race compound 208's on this week.

So, lets see what happens
  4. it would help if you ran them at the correct psi, they need to be running at 39-40 when warm not 36, and the back needs to be 42.

are you sure you havnt reached the limits of the bike not the tyres, it is a gsx1400 after all not a gsxr1000
  5. RR or GP's? GP's aint suitable for road, far too hard, but ive heard great things about RR's (tried D207rr's, pretty sweet), and as I said, really liked the D208's (even tho they were the F's, not the RR's).
  6. Both are RR's.... I have used the 208's a few years ago when they first arrived in the US on the SuperMotards..... Loved them, but found they slid alot more..... Predictable, but they did slide.

Now, these were on a bike that weighed 105kg, not like the GSX1400 that weighs 230kg. So, I am pretty sure they will bite.
  7. I think there is a certain little 400 that may have a bit to answer for in this little saga :LOL: :LOL: Yes indeed, lets see what happens :wink:
  8. if you consider the GSX1400 as a heavyweight i would hate to consider what you class some of the older bikes as and other current models in the 250kg range.

I agree with Sludgie the pressure seems low try more air, the GSX1400's i ride with run Shinko's for some reason and use the bike to it's fullest without an issue to date.
  9. Hey guys

I think people need to realise the way I ride... There are people here that will vouch for me...... Be nice Roarin. I ride the bike like someone would ride a GSXR. Hard and agressively. I dont ride it like a tourer, but as a racer. :D

Someone mentioned reaching the limits of the bike and not the tyres..... Tell Shawn Gyles that, multiple Aust Superbike champion... He loves these bikes and also redes them hard. He does not seem to be really slowed down by them.......

I have tried multiple tyre pressures and let me tell you what happened.

Lets start with the front
    42psi - Pushed under breaking into corners
    40psi - still pushed, but not as much. Almost bloody killed me in QLD
    38pdi - Made a little difference, did not push as hard, but front did not feel that planted
    36psi - went well until the tyres became hot, it is when they became hot that they really started to fail and move around strangely.

Lets not even get into the back tyre..... Profile is incorrect and when you lean over and gas, she steps out quite a bit......

Now, just to clarify peoples... :) I am not a happy go lucky once a week rider.... I have raced professionally for a number of years and know when I personally dont like a tyre.. :) Oh, and with tyre pressures, always subtract about 4 to 6psi from manufacturing specs when riding hard in the twisties... Everyone knows that. :D

Have a nice day.

Oh, and by the way, this is personal observations and personal feelings regarding the tyres. As I originally stated, for people that ride casually and not hard, they are a wonderful tyre with great wear properties.
  10. Oh, and Roarin, any day brother...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Oh, wait one. Roarin, I seem to mention you beech and whine when you were spanked on one of the rides .... something about tyres..... :LOL: :LOL: Then again, you never complain :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Then when you got your tyres, you were all happy and smilin and jumpin..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: They made you say whheeeeeeeeeeeeee :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In all seriousness.... Anyone that knows anything about bikes and riding know how crucial tyres are to both the bikes and riders performance. The original BT020's worked better.....
  12. Aaaah, I still have the secret weapon left for when you catch up -or should I say If you catch up :LOL: The old take the side stand -yes, side stand, off trick. Allows you to carry about 5-10km/hr more corner speed due to the increased ground clearance. As I found out 1/2 way to Apollo bay after grinding off the retracting spring on a series of left handers :D Makes refuelling a bit tricky though :LOL:
  13. Roarin, you are an absolute legend. People, he really did grind his side stand bracket down...... He really does ride well... Almost as good as me..... :D

I think Roarin would agree with this, people that ride down our way seem alot faster than people up the East Side :p :p :p :p
  14. ... and also hard to do while riding, I would have thought, Andrew?? :D
    Yeah, give Mitch heaps, he thinks he's a gun rider but he's just a big windbag...... :LOL: :LOL:
  15. Spanked on a ride eh? My memory must be failing me in my old age. The only thing I can remember that vaguely resembles anything like that is having to drop back a bit to avoid T-boning that fat whale you ride mid corner :D
  16. Hey brother, sorry, cant help your poor bike control....... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey, what crazy things are we going to do next???? Wanna ride Thailand????
  17. Hey Hornet, I am faaaar from a gun rider, just riding long enough to know the difference between a tyre I am happy with and a tyre I am not.
  18. Hehehehe Skuffy. Keep them coming dude. Hang on a minute, I've just got to duck off to find something to wipe my eyes. Hahahaha. Okay I'm back now. Carry on bro :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  19. Just entering into the spirit of the debate, mate, you know me, I don't criticise how other people ride, given the way I ride!!!!!
  20. Popcorn and butter, anyone?