Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shims settle in????

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ZX9rB3, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I had my shims done today and it needed 15 out of the 16 replaced. I am wondering do new shims settle in or should they right as soon as they are done?
    The reason I ask is because the bike is running worse than it was beofre i took it in. It feels flat all the way through the rev range. The top end feels like they have forgotten to set the ram air back up or something? I had a ZZR 600 years ago and it would have been faster than the 9 at the moment. Ever since I have had the 9 it has always lifted the front under power in first gear about 3/4 throttle would be enough. A few people on here can vouch for that. It wont lift at all at the moment even under full throttle. :(

Has anybody had experience with this sort of stuff, I am wondering if it has to settle in or something. Pain in the arse because I dont get time off work to chase after this sort of thing by taking it back to the shop. Anway thanks in advance

Cheers

2. they usually work themselves out.

3. should be right straight off the hat AFAIK. if they were badly out before tho, your carbs might have been balanced to suit and therefore not running right now?

or they might have fudged something up :LOL:

4. Should be spot on from word go. Who done it for you ??

5. Red Wing Honda and they are usually pretty good. It feels like a vacum hose or something is not on properly. They spent hours on it and only charged for for about half the hours so i feel sort of bad taking it back but I cant leave it like it is. Thanks gents

6. Your problem is probably "Red Wing".

Had my VFR in there early in its life and had to go back each time - well almost, the second time I gave up in frustration and fixed it myself the second time and have never returned. Vacuum hoses not reconnected, used a chain lube other than the one I specified (and supplied), incorrectly set idle speed, etc. To be fair they did identify a problem with the reg/rectifier but missed a dud battery.

I think you will find there are plenty more unhappy experiences around melbourne when it comes to Red Wing.

7. Your problem is probably "Red Wing".

Had my VFR in there early in its life and had to go back each time - well almost, the second time I gave up in frustration and fixed it myself the second time and have never returned. Vacuum hoses not reconnected, used a chain lube other than the one I specified (and supplied), incorrectly set idle speed, etc. To be fair they did identify a problem with the reg/rectifier but missed a dud battery.

I think you will find there are plenty more unhappy experiences around melbourne when it comes to Red Wing.

8. Your problem is probably Red Wing.

Had my VFR in there early in its life and had to go back each time - well almost, the second time I gave up in frustration and fixed it myself the second time never returned. Vacuum hoses not reconnected, used a chain lube other than the one I specified (and supplied), incorrectly set idle speed, etc.

To be fair they did identify a problem with the reg/rectifier but missed a dud battery.

9. Your problem is probably Red Wing.

Had my VFR in there early in its life and had to go back each time - well almost, the second time I gave up in frustration and fixed it myself the second time never returned -vacuum hoses not reconnected, used a chain lube other than the one I specified (and supplied), incorrectly set idle speed, etc.

To be fair they did identify a problem with the reg/rectifier but missed a dud battery.

10. Your problem is Red Wing.

Had my VFR in there early in its life and had to go back each time - well almost, the second time I gave up in frustration and fixed it myself. Never returned -vacuum hoses not reconnected, used a chain lube other than the one I specified (and supplied), incorrectly set idle speed, etc.

To be fair they did identify a problem with the reg/rectifier but missed the dud battery.