Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shifting weight/Changing Posture -Accelerating & Braking

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sonicbaz, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hi I've discovered if while I am accelerating hard (as you can on a GPX-250 :grin: ) if I lean towards my handle bars / push my weight forward, I don't get that feeling of my arms being stretched (feels like it's pulling my hands off of my handlebars) and I can counter the forces, same when I brake, if I sit more upright, the bike just feels more stable.

My question is, should I be doing this? It makes me feel like I am more stable and in control, especially when I am countering the forces against my hands, but I don't want to develop bad habits

I appreciate any opinions. :cool:
  2. You're not gripping with your legs enough. Even while riding standing up, like in motocross for example, you still get the majority of your 'hold' on the bike from your legs. On a road bike it's even more important.
  3. I find it hard to grip really hard with my legs, I end up getting cramp etc. I'll have to practice more.
  4. I tend to grip with my knees too and anything that enhances the stability of your bike is generally reassuring.
  5. Get a Thighmaster :wink:

There isn't really a textbook definition of how to ride, what works for some isnt going to work for others.
    If your new technique makes you feel more comfortable while riding, then by all means do it.
    By the sounds of it you're just doing what alot of riders would do, lean forward under acceleration and sit up during braking. Watch some races :wink:
  6. Hey there,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, you're just learning your own style. I do the same myself, but probabaly use my legs to hold on more and you get stronger over time.

A good book thta explains a REAL lot is "Twist of the Wrist" It's written by Keith Code I think? It helped me a lot in my early days, especially with using peg pressure etc.

Good Luck :)