Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shift light

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Sleddog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. I just got a new bike the GSX650F and it has a shift light that I can set to what ever rpm I like.
    So once I figure out where on the 14000rpm gauge with red line at 12,500 ,then I'll set it to were I like.

I can set it ....on or off ....or to blink or just come on and stay on till I change.
    Or come on slowly etc.

Question is ,do you use it ?

Is there pro's and con's of using it or even having it.

Or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks ,Sled. :)
  2. Ignore the tacho and the light. Just rev it till it misfires, then change up :LOL: .
  3. :LOL: ,that will do the trick.

I didn't have a rpm gauge on my last bike , just did it by feel .
  4. Mainly a racing thing.. except racers wouldn't / couldn't use it since they won't be putting their attention the dash :) I think its mainly a gimick.. all the same I'd probably set it to blink @ peak torque.
  5. That's unusual - don't most people use these, as an aid to maximum performance, by setting them at peak hp? There is usually a big difference in rpm.

Trevor G
  6. who stares at their dash while riding?

not me.. im looking where im going..

seems like a little gimick to me.
  7. Sled, the option is yours mate, and no matter what you do with it, its not going to affect how the bike go's. Its just a better reminder to change gear other then hitting the rev limiter!

You will notice it in the corner of your eye when it flash's. Most new bikes have them.
  8. Racers (ie people in search of maximum performance) don't have time to watch a light - nor do they need it - they'd know by sound and feel when to shift. A light wouldnt help them. Hence my suggestion that they're for street racers and as a bling mod.
  9. Well I haven't seen the light come on yet ,no where near the red line :LOL:

Plus ..with all translated instructions in the manual doesn't make scents when trying to set it :?

It very bright when I turn the bike on ,and like Luke said I will notice it and might be a little off putting ,while I'm getting my knee down :p :wink: :LOL:
  10. The reason for them, is because for "racers" they cant stare at the revs on the old styled analog display, because the information takes too long to process, the shifter was developed because the leds stick out in your peripheral vision, so you dont have to stare, you just catch it out of the corner of your eye.

I personally dont use them, although, you can understand there use, when you wash off 100km/h through hard braking, tip in, put the knee down, accelerate, and brake traction as you exit a corner...remember to switch gears might be the last thing on your mind. That said, you should be able to feel when your engine is running out of puff.