Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

She's back, me little lovelies!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Chairman, Nov 23, 2005.

1. There'll be rejoicing in Uncle Remo's house in Dapto tonight, and tears of joy will be shed at the Dapto Dogs on Thursday night with this news, Mark.

And we all thought when she sang "I'm REALLY off this time....." she meant it.

At last the ABC got SOMETHING right.....

{Who can remember the Aunty Jack "Welcoming in Colour TV" special???}
  2. Paul,

do you mean at midnight when color was officially turned on at the ABC, and we found out from the rising color from the bottom of the screen her dress was blue? And Thin Arthur really did wear black-and-white striped pants?
  3. people said the same sort of things about Dr. Who before the re-runs began a year ago, but it didn't take long for the accolades to turn to "what a lot of old crap!"
  4. There's actually going to be a stage show hitting all major towns.

They were on the lookout for a black harley (preferably with sidecar) to be used for each city (as your prize you got free tickets).
  5. Here ya go. Mcc Details

The Aunty Jack Show will be returning as a stage show next year, titled THE AUNTY JACK SHOW AND TELL

We have been asked by the producers to locate an outfit with a similar appearance to the original Harley outfit as shown in the photo. It's got to be black.

We need to locate one in every Capital city, as the show will be touring.

The dates and locations (2006) are:
    March 30 & 31 - Riverside Theatre, Parramatta
    April 1 - State Theatre, Sydney
    April 8 - Wollongong Entertainment Centre
    April 9 - Civic Theatre, Newcastle
    April 12 - Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne
    April 19 - QPAC Concert Hall, Brisbane
    April 21 - Canberra Theatre
    April 23 - Perth Concert Hall
    April 27 - Theatre Royal, Hobart
    April 29 - Festival Theatre, Adelaide

If you know of one, or have one, please contact guy.stanford@gmail.com with a small snapshot of it and we will pass you on to the show producer for further conversation on terms of engagement.

Essentially, it means having your outfit on stage for several scenes in the show. In return, you'll get a double pass to see the show in your city.

If you don't, she's going to rip yer bloody arms off.
  6. There's an important difference. Dr Who was remodelled for each new generation of viewers, and can be compared against a) earlier versions of itself and b) other contemporary scifi. No-one denies the the story lines were terrible, and the acting only seemed good because you were distracted by the wobbling sets. And, in comparison with such breathtaking achievements as Battlestar Galactica (1 & 2), Star Trek (ad nauseam) and the sidesplitting comedy of Red Dwarf, early Dr Who isn't looking so good.

But, while everyone else kept churning out more star-drek, Aunty Jack stopped, and there won't be any more. Apart from a few one-offs, there's no Jack's Back, so we have a frozen moment in Australian comedy that was groundbreaking its time and probably wouldn't get a budget now (or, if it did, we'd see the Aunty Jack Sedition Special). And the creators also vanished from comedy, almost without trace (O'Donoghue writes ad jingles, Bond is a celebrity speaker). Only McDonald's comic talents get a run today.

So, if you think it's dated, old, strange, you're right. If you think it's crap, you're viewing it through glasses that ignore when, and why it was created. To poke fun at stolid, suburban, white-bread Australia. Without Mavis Bramston and Aunty Jack we'd still be listening to (the equally great) Goons and Tony Hancock, and being thankful that those nice English folk were letting us colonials enjoy their humor.
  7. and
    Hmm...I guess I need to add a retraction. There will be some more.

I can supply the black sidecar. If someone has a Harley, I'll split the tickets with you.
  8. I've been to
    Wollongong,Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong,
    Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong,
    Wollongong,Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong,
    Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong,Wollongong,Wollongong, Wollongong,
    Wollongong, Wollongong, Dapto, Wollongong...

9. Auntie Jack , now there's a show that brings back memories . For some very stange reason it reminds me of when the garbage collectors actually came up to your house to collect the bin :-k How 1 influenced the other i dont know , weird .
  10. I mean exactly that scenario. I was living in a small country town in northern NSW, and I hired a colour TV from the local Retravision so we could watch this ground-breaking event.

And they tried to hold the colour down as it rose up the screen, while Thin Arthur yelled "I like being black and white".
  11. Or I'll rip your bloody arms off!!!! :D
    Alvin Purple was better 8) 8)
  12. Alvin was a champ.

AJ was just an old p00f.
  13. careful, that golden boxing glove wasn't just for decoration, you know.....

14. Fisting??? :LOL:
  15. I remember I used to love watching Aunty Jack... but to be honest it was that long ago that one of the few memories I have of actual scenes was where the colour was rising. That and the end scene where the outfit rides off...

If I watched It now it'd probably be a dissapointment... and I almost suspect the main reason I thought it was good was the outfit :)
  16. Some things that you go back to are as great as you remember them, some things are great because they stopped and are 'frozen in time" and belong to the rest of that era. I suspect that these guys are as funny as they were, but a lot of their humour would be neutered these days by the pc nazis (in a live show)
    That said, the film of the old shows would be good, because it IS frozen in time.
  17. Bring back Laurell and Hardy, for the soundtrack if nothing else.
  18. Stan & Ollie will always be funny. Sheer brilliance.

I think about 90% of the Auntie Jack show was crap, but the other 10% was a delight.
  19. Oh, but the kings of comedy would have to be The Three Stooges :LOL: