Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sharp dip in driveway entry

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by minglis, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hi all. So, here's the rub:

When I arrive at work in the morning, I need to cross a road and go into an underground car park. The issue I have is that the driveway that leads into the car park has a horrible dip in it when you first go onto the concrete part. So, on the road, dip down into the gutter, then sharp rise up into the driveway.

The issue I'm having is one of throttle control, and was hoping to get some advice about the best way to handle this. I normally have to come to a stop before crossing the road (cars and such). So, I take off in 1st, barely get moving when I hit the dip. No matter what I try, I find that I end up rough on the throttle due to the sudden jolt in the dip. I don't have time to roll off the throttle before it, as I've only just crossed the road and don't have enough speed to get up the dip without some throttle.
    While on a LAMS bike, it doesn't make any difference. It's annoying, but nothing more. My issue is that when time comes to upgrade, these kinds of throttle mistakes are less forgiving. As I come across issues in my riding like this, I'm conscious of the fact that I will upgrade one day, so I work very hard to fix these issues. I'm treating my LAMS bike like training wheels I guess for these kinds of subtle issues.

I can turn a street earlier and come down the road and turn left into the driveway, which isn't as bad, but I want to work this issue out as to how to negotiate this type of issue, without doing a wheelie every time I go up the driveway (as fun as that would be, I'd rather I be choosing the time and place instead of the conditions).

Attached Files:

2. Just clutch it as you go through the dip.
  3. yep, modulate with clutch and brakes. I found my 600 actually very forgiving, so much torque it doesn't stall. You can almost just use the clutch for slow manouveurs
  4. wheelie the dip??
  5. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Yeah, been working on this. it's a bit awkward with timing is all. I'll keep trying to get the correct pattern in place.

I'm actually generally pretty good with slow maneuver stuff. This isn't quite the same, as I often need to take off across the road quickly to get through a break in traffic, so, I need to get off the road ASAP (car's coming) and can't really slow down until I'm already in the dip. This means I'm either rolling off the throttle/braking as I get into the dip (throwing me forward even more than the dip does already), then throttle on again to get back out of the dip, which is a bit jerky. Even if I don't brake, just throttle off/clutch in, it's still a jolt when the dip heads up again right when I need to clutch out/throttle on again. It's just a timing issue.

Probably the most fun suggestion, but may not be conducive to my aspirations of license retention ;)
  6. a trick you can do if you dont want to wheelie is come up to it fast, jump on the brakes as late as you can before the dip then just as your front wheel is going to go into it open the throttle right up.

you want to get the front wheel nice and light.
  7. Good for you minglis that you want to improve instead of just avoiding the problem.

Other than clutching, the other thing I do is make sure I am relaxing my arms. Before the dip squeeze with your legs, lean forward and relax your arms more. Takes pressure off your wrists and allows you to soak up the bump without transferring to the throttle.
  8. yeah, I was just thinking about this while getting some lunch and I realised that I don't think I'm squeezing the tank enough. To make it worse, I'm still heading down when the front end starts coming up. I must be wearing some of the pressure on my hands, hence the throttle input. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ringing it's neck, I just don't want ANY throttle inputs that I didn't personally want to have happen. (that may be a pipe dream, but it's the ideal I'm shooting for). I was thinking that I really need to grip with my lower half more and totally relax my arms. Perhaps it's more like what a dirt bike would need in bumpy terrain. I'll try it out tomorrow anyway and see of it's an improvement.

9. Whilst my diagram isn't as detailed as yours, it should be sufficient for now.
    We can work out the physics of it all later.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Very detailed and technical diagram Murchy - excellent work :D
  11. Epic diagram.
  12. ;). Will you be at tonight's learner cruise?
  13. nope. will catch you on Saturday.
  14. Get up on the pegs and ride it dirt bike style Ming. If you take the dip through the legs it's less likely to be transferred through the arms.
  15. thanks. I'll give that a shot. Should've thought of that... 8-[
  16. You're welcome :)
  17. Thanks Murchy - that sorts it. I've seen something a lot like that on youtube now that I think about it...

Minglis, I'd have to actually see it, but I think just ride over to it, clutch in, slow down (One time I might use some or all rear brake, in a situation like this) and then ride the clutch and power (lightly) through it. Most motorbikes are a lot more secure and confident at 10 km/h than they are at 2 km/h. The pace of a jogger, or (usually) about where idle is in 1st gear.

It's very good that you're aware of being smooth and not ham-fisted with the throttle, but sometimes the correct solution is not some tricky technique, it's just learn to be accurate. That said - 1st gear, walking pace, very low revs ... I wouldn't be too worried about it. Even really powerful bikes usually don't snap into uncontrollable wheelspin / monos at moments like that. Learning to get it right for when you have a pillion is a good idea. Ride the clutch.

Depending on how deep the dip is, how sharp the pull-up in the middle is, what the approach and departure angles are, what the surface is like (polished cement? wet?) and perhaps what other roadside furniture is around (like the booth where you pay for parking?) you may wish to stand on the pegs and take it a little quicker, then you wouldn't need to ride the clutch. I'd have to see it.
  18. + 1 on relaxing arms
    + 1 on clutch
    + 1 on pegs
    + 1 on diagrams............although that rider is breaking all sorts of laws like no helmet, not to mention being a squid lol.............
  19. Thanks all, appreciate the input. I don't often get the option of taking it very slow as I'm normally playing frogger across the road when there is a gap in the cars. I'm looking forward to trying this tomorrow.