Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by random101, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Okay this seems a bit out of place and makes me think i had another one of them dreams.. but wasnt sure if it was a dream or real life.. anyhow

any one ridden past the altona forshore in the last 2-3 days and spotted the massive mako looking shark next to the foot path it was (laid out along the brick wall)?

its about 2-3m long it wasnt there today but fri i think it was.. anyhow i know my dad has some pictures ill try get some a.s.a.p

its bike related as i rode past it
  2. There was a big shark.. on the footpath next to altona beach
  3. I thought this would be about a shark helmet and I was ready to make a smart arse comment about a fish.

But its about a fish and now I have to think of a smart arse comment about helmets.
  4. [​IMG]

im not crazy. .. (much)[/img]
  5. Yup, shoulda been posted in off topic :wink:
  6. me thinks cool tail...
  7. Looking at the tail its a Thresher Shark, and if it was caught in the bay it must have chased a school of fish in, they dont normally inhabit bays or close to the coast.
    If it is a long fin ? {Cant tell without measuring the tail.}
    It is definatly lost, they like warmer waters.

They make a great sporting catch though :twisted:
    people recon Sailfish, Marlin and Yellowfin , put up a good fight and jump!
    Try a mako or thresher on your line :p :twisted: :LOL:
  8. it's definately lost allright
  9. You're gonna need a bigger boat.
  10. Looks like that shark got beached bro.
    Want a chup bro ?

11. Yep, was caught Sunday morning whilst the triathlon was on there. A couple of competitors knew it was around, but not everyone! :eek: :shock:

I think there were some swim PB's that morning! :LOL:
  12. Yep. Bitched is.
  13. Why was it left there to rot though? If the people who caught it didn't want a feed of flake they should have put it back. Sharks play an important role in marine ecosystems. They are the watery garbage collectors that help to keep the ocean clean.

Of course a few triathletes, surfers and divers get mixed in with the trash at times but we all know the risks. :)

I wouldn't expect to find a Thresher in the bay, although they are caught off the Lorne pier at times. Anything's possible in the bay though. Lot's of sharks feed in the rip (even great whites) so any of them could try exploring further in. They certainly do in Western port bay. :)
  14. The big dredger in the bay at the moment has been a boon for the local fish as they are feeding around where the dredger has been, it looks like the thresher may have followed a school in.