Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shark s500 Helmet - Any sales on in melb?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by staygold808, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a shark s500 helmet. Anybody know where is the cheapest place to buy one in melbourne? I don't mind buying online either. I'd post a picture, but since this is my first post, they won't let me attach anything.

2. Shark are my personal faves, they just fit me right.

That link has made me want a new one...
  3. Yup... Have already seen Bike Biz among other places. Seems like the standard price is $279 for the helmet everywhere i've seen
  4. Ok, after heading down to a bike shop (who didn't stock the model). The salesman was telling me that, as the s500 is made from injected thermoplastic resin, it's not a good helmet. He said I should buy one made of fibreglass or kevlar or other composites for similar money.

What do you guys think?
  5. He wants you to buy a helmet he has in stock...As long as it's safety approved, then buy what you want :)
  6. From what i've read, there's a lot of debate over plastic vs fibreglass vs kevlar/carbon composites etc.

But there doesn't seem to be any real evidence suggesting that any is better then the other in an accident. As they all have different properties, they will be superior in certain circumstances. As it doesn't look like i can afford a carbon/kevlar composite, i think that plastics aren't necessarily worse than fibreglass.

I think plastic's ability to flex would be superior in real world situation, whereas the fibreglass should shatter on first impact if i'm correct. But then again, I'm just speculating, because it's not like i've done any testing or anything.
  7. I have a shark RSF2i Stamp I got it on sale from action motorcycles in sydney for $200 its a great helmet doesn't fog has a quick release visor.

there are some people on ebay in the states that do sharks pretty cheaply
    I can't post URL's yet but the store/seller name is Powersport Accessories
    in ebay dot com
  8. A Helmet from overseas is not certified for use in Australia...so if you buy one use it as a paperweight :LOL: