Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by morgan000, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Hey Guys,

Looking to purchase some shares on the stockmarket. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which to buy or look out for and so on.

Thanks in advance!
  2. You're asking for the opinions of unqualified, non-financial industry people regarding investing, on a motorcycling forum?

Well, I guess it is your money after all.....
  3. Buy a rental property...
  4. Some banks will offer at least one free appointment with a financial advisor.

Or see if a place like MLC will offer a free consultation, mind you they will want to sell you something.

If you don't have experience then have a look at managed funds.

Seriously you need to talk to an advisor they will tell you about a lot of options and also know about the tax implications of each one. FA's from banks will only stick to services the bank offers whereas independent advisors will offer a broader range of suggestions.
  5. Most analysts I'm seeing are saying that if this crash is like other major crashes after bubbles it may still have perhaps up to another 20% to fall. If it were me I'd be putting every cent possible into paying off debts, as the best return you're likely to get on any investment for the next little while, keeping a fair bit in cash to keep your powder dry for when the crash really hits bottom, and perhaps trickling some each month into the lowest-fee possible fund that invests only in Australian blue chip shares in the same ratio as the ASX200.

This is the advice of a thoughtful and reasonably intelligent person who watches the markets and has thought about the issues, but has no formal qualifications or training in the field.
  6. I love the disclaimer Bravus.

and +1 to your comments.
  7. It's important to know why you want to purchase shares and if the ASX is the sharemarket you want to invest in.

What is your strategy - is it to build wealth over a long term for your financial dependants or to make a quick killing from buying low and selling high and taking advantage of a coming rebound?

What is your "risk profile"? - This determines your attitude to the risks of investing.

Do you have the experience to manage your investments?

Do you have the time to manage your investments?

Are you looking to invest with your heart or your head? 2up suggested a rental property - this tends to be investing with your heart rather than your head. Rental properties are physical items you can look at and say "thats my property" - something difficult to say about a share certificate. It doesn't make property a less worthwhile investment but it can affect your investing. e.g. property has gone through the exact same falls as the stock market for exactly the same reasons. It's an illiquid asset -- to sell a property takes time, usually 6-8 weeks after contracts have been exchanged with a potential buyer. Shares / managed funds can be sold and the money in your account within 48 hours usually. (I'm not pushing shares over property as I believe a mixture of the 2 for long term investing is a great strategy).

Once you know why you want to invest a strategy can be formed.

Basic rule of thumb - there are only 5 things you can invest in:

Cash (eaten away by inflation and taxes)
    Your own business (self-employment)
    Shares (ASX or international)
    Works of Art (Monet, DaVinci etc - yep I have no knowledge of art)

If you invest in any of these and manage an average return of 5% for the life of the investment (including downturns like this one) then it's been a good investment. Conservative? Yep.

Dont forget the taxation implications involved with investing either.

So I'd suggest that rather than asking which shares to purchase you should be asking yourself "why should I invest?"

Ultimately you need to see a financial planner. Plenty to chose from but I'd recommend one from a large organisation with a wide range of investment options and preferrably held their AFS licence for a long time (e.g longer than, say, Storm Financial, held theirs).

The proceeding information does not take into account your personal information, goals and objectives. It is considered "general advice". It is strongly recommended that you seek "personal advice" from professional financial planner to assist you.
  8. Give your money to me. I'll invest it wisely and you'll see a big difference in your finances :cool:

no, really, go see a professional
  9. I also watch the financial system but I am of the opinion that things are going to get a LOT worse before they get better.

Maybe you should buy yourself a new bike.
  10. More good news

11. I suggest you look on websites such as compareshares and eureka report.

I get some good info from these guys, just remember though that the stocks they talk about they may hold themselves i.e. they have a vested interest.

Good luck, it's good fun trading!
  12. I know what you're thinking- "Did he fire six billion people or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a Recession, almost the most powerful economic factor in the world and would blow your finances clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

(Apologies to 'Dirty Harry')
  13. BUP Billiton are the stocks I'd be looking into buying.

They are up around the $27 mark atm, thye have gone as low as $20.

14. careful:

15. Buy gold instead.
  16. Get a sideline job, to supplement your income. I do, and I don't have to read the paper to see how I'm doing.....yet.
  17. Don't buy gold - it's one of the few things still up!