Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Share your wisdom.....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Gypsy, Mar 6, 2006.

1. G'day all,
    As a lot of you would know, I have been riding around now for 2 weeks and each time I go out there my confidence grows. The circles I've been riding around are getting wider and wider, and I'm relaxing and enjoying the ride a lot better.

I was just thinking the other day (dangerous I know) but what 'kit' do people lug around on their bikes? I have done a search and found that most people recommend a puncture repair kit. So, I'm looking at getting something like that to carry around, just in case. But what else do people take with them? What tools would you think you'd need? Would there be a time when you would need to pull anything on the bike apart? For example, would you need to take a wheel off for any reason? Also, how would you do this? My bike doesn't have a centrestand so I can't imagine how I'd go about doing this if ever I needed to. Any other emergencies that may come up when on a ride? How would you, or did you, handle it? Invaluable advice for such a newbie as myself.

Another question (I know, so many), how do people check the oil levels on their rides? On the XVS the oil level 'window' is located right down the bottom of the bike on the left hand side, just near the side stand. Problem is to look at it you need to get down on your hands and knees, but the bike is leaning on the stand. Surely this is not an accurate reading? Is there another way to get your oil levels without the aid of someone sitting on the bike holding it upright? Also, does the gearbox and engine use the same oil?

And finally, can anyone point me in the right direction for a workshop manual of the XVS650? I have the user's manual but would also like the workshop handbook to get into a bit more depth.

Thanks for putting up with my many questions. Just want to learn from everyone's experiences and wisdom. Why reinvent the wheel, right....?

Cheers All....
  2. 1- trick is to ensure you keep the bike in good nic so you dont have to do running repairs :LOL: a basic motorbike tool kit should be sufficient for anything thats fixable on the side of the road, and if you're really worried about punctures, theres that tyre foam stuff you justfill the tyre with, its usually enuff to get you a few kays to somewhere that you can repair or replace the tyre at.

2- oil level... you just have to learn how to steady the bike while crouching beside it. its not as precarious as you think and the level is usually on the right so if it falls away from you, it falls to the stand or towards you and you can just push it back :grin:

3- do a search for manuals here, there was a thread a while back that listed a whole bunch of manuals online. you might be lucky and have your bike amongst all that...
  3. I just carry a small set of tools with everything that is needed to pull most of the bike apart, some cable ties, gaffa tape, street directory and on longer rides a puncture repair kit and a bottle of water.

Have you checked Here for a workshop manual??
  4. http://www.motorosok.hu/szervizkonyvek/index_eng.htm

try this little page for PDF manual's
    you wil lhave to email the owner for acess user / pass

i know there is a big forum post somewhere with links to manual's but i found it hard to find what i wanted on that 1.
  5. Tools to carry for me are a mobile phone and your membership number for RACV/NRMA etc, roadside assist.
  6. in my experience there is not as much you can do roadside as with a car, plus you don't want a heavy load. I generally carry (in addition to the bikes tool kit) a multi-tool, a small shifter, electrical tape, gaffer tape, spare fuses, tyre gauge and tyre kit with a hand pump. Should probably also carry a chain repair kit, but I don't.
    If you do, you're probably farqed anyway. If you need to get a wheel off to carry to a repairer, or replace the chain, it might be easier to have a roadside assistance membership. (puncture repairs kits you use with the wheel still on, but get someone to give you a detailed lesson on how to use it if possible. It ain't always easy).
    I've seen it done with a couple of big rocks as supports, or it's theoretically possible with two people to help support it on the sidestand and front, but I wouldn't recommend it. Depends a lot on the bike whether you can or not.

You can carry a small mirror and reach down with it while holding the bike upright. Beats being crushed by your own bike!

7. ...this is good. So far, apart from some basic tools like shifter etc, I have:-
    * a puncture repair kit
    * can of 'foam'
    * hand pump
    * electrical tape
    * gaffer tape
    * spare spark plug (even an old one should get me out of trouble...maybe)
    * tyre gauge
    * maybe some electrical wire???
    * someone suggested a torch
    * no need for a chain repair kit, mine is a shaft drive
    * a bottle of fresh water for longer rides, keep your hydration levels up just in case you need to hike it
    * mobile phone
    * NRMA (RACQ) if applicable. Didn't know about NRMA, will have to chase it up.
    * Cable ties
    * Spare indicator bulbs
    * First Aid kit
    * Spare fuses

I think that should get me out of most situations. And if the bikes on fire I'll just piss on it....

What stories do other riders have out there with regards to breakdowns etc? Good or bad, doesn't matter. Just a good read to learn from....

Cheers All....
  8. I carry fuses and a spare indicator and brake/tail light bulb too.
    As for the sight glass, I use a samll cosmetics mirror and just hold it down there (the window on the Z is between the clucth cover and ignition cover, and is a bit like your bike, a bugger to see unless you are a long way from the bike on teh right angle!

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Spare bulbs would be useful too, thanks. Also, I'll have to give the mirror thing a go. Sounds like a good idea.

The other thing I'd be interested in carrying on board would be a first aid kit. Anybody have one of these on the bike? And if so, what do you put in it? Triangular bandage? Band-aids? Rash/burn cream? Antiseptic cream? Solar/space blanket? What else would you include in a 'bike' first aid kit?

10. I've seen a cable joiner and bottle of radiator stop leak come in handy. As well as a replacement bolt for a gear lever. Throw in come cable ties as well.
  11. You're gonna need panniers and a gearsack rack by the time this thread's over.
  12. Updated the list above.

And as for carryign all this, when you think about it, it's not really a whole lot. Besides, I have the saddlebags I can fill......

13. Puncture repair kit with a small hand pump (repairs are never really airtight and bottles run out fast). A clean rag for wiping water off the seat. Tape. 12/10m spanner of reasonable quality. Chain lube for long trips. After 14 years of riding, that's all I carry.

Keep your cables oiled and smooth because a snapped clutch cable is the most annoying way to be immobilised (esp. because you inevitably decide to ride home without a clutch which is possible but hugely dangerous).

You can prop up your back wheel by putting the bike on the side stand, and placing a brick/block of wood under the shock pivot.
  14. Gypsy mate, come along to the Brewery tonite and I'll have a chat with you about all of the above.

I rode an XVS in the States, to check oil level, put a bit of wood under side-stand, about an inch thick.
    make sure the bike is in gear so it don't move.
    That's it for checking the oil level, bike should be almost upright.

Here is a number for a bloke in the Shire who picks up broken down bikes, he's much cheaper than the other bike pick up crews:
    Gary Palmer
    9524 6223
    Mobile: 0403 482 233

Also these below:
    Ezy-Movers: 1300 722 477
    Mob: 0422 305 024

Ghost Riders: 0428 922 700

All West M/C Carriers: 9603 2979
    Fax: 9603 2679
    Mob: 0408 248 382

Hope you never need them mate.
    To get an NRMA pick-up, you have to be in the NRMA.
    They also only tow you free for about 15 kilometers now I heard.
    And I don't know if these days they have specific bike pick up wagons, I heard they still send a bloody flat bed tow truck?

How many tools to take? How good are you using the tools to start with?
    You can carry a whole bloody tool box but if you have no idea what you're doing, what's the point?

I always take rain gear and tools that will fit in the tool section of the bike.

You can ride on a flat tire if you're careful and need to get a few miles down the road. You're running tubed tires not tubeless yeh?
    Go to a servo and try the spray in goo to see if that will fix the puncture in the tube.
    If it's a big hole it will not.
    Fixing flat tires hundreds of miles from nowhere is another story mate.
    Catch me on a brewery night.

Cheers: Jaq.
  15. Take note...to take your chromed back wheel off you'll need Rim protectors. Tire levers, etc.

Your best bet is to get a mate who knows how to do all this stuff and have him show you.

There's no point in EVEN trying to take the back wheel off if you have no idea how to properly remove and fit a new inner tube.
  16. http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/83.html
  17. Jaqhama, thanks for that. Any information and advice is good. Even if I don't make use of it, maybe someone will. I'm hopefully coming along tonight so we should get a chance to get to talk....hopefully....

18. Fuses. Don't forget fuses. I've used them more than once.
  19. ....spare fuses....added....thx titus.....
  20. Why hasn't anyone mentioned carrying a spare clutch/brake lever ?

besides fuses and puntures these are the most likely items to stop you riding safely !

It dont take much too snap either lever and they are normally small enough to be caried in your normal tool storage area and take about 5 mins to replace against a possable long and 'hairy' ride with only half or no lever.

besides the std tool kit I carry :
    can of punture foam :?
    set of levers
    100mile an hr tape
    1st aid kit
    and always carry my Mobile phone

Also not many think of this but I also have in both my wallet AND in a pocket of my jacket ... a card that has MY name address and a contact in the case of emergency.
    I had an off years ago and even though I was consious, I was in LA LA land talking brail and the police/Hosp had to check through my rego, and then track down a family member to let them know what had happened etc etc ( all of which takes time and if they need the ok to operate that ten mins taken to find your NOK could make one hell of a difference to your recovery )