Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shannons insurance for new riders

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Primax, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

Was wondering if Shannons insurance for new riders was possible, and what your experienced are with getting cover from them.

I have heard Shannons recommended her a few times but I spoke with someone on the phone who said I had to have my license unrestricted for 1 year before they will cover me.

I'm 28 and have been driving for 12 years, but am a new rider. Should that count?
  2. # You have held a full motorcycle licence for at least 12 months.
    # You have been riding at least once a month for the past 12 months on a similar type and size of bike to the one you wish to insure

that's what the pds says too, why would you be able to get a different answer here???
  3. Heard them mentioned a few times in the new riders section, and the first quote I got the guy asked 'How long have you been riding for?' to which I said 7 years, which is true with dirt bike/farm bikes.

Sounds like that was the cause of the confusion :)
  4. very likely, I think the key wording is the 'full motorcycle licence' part :)
  5. Bottom line is, ring around and get quotes. No one insurer is necessarily better on everything.

I have two bikes and two insurers. On one bike the companies are practically identical on the other there was about a $200 difference in premiums.
  6. If you really want to be covered by 'Shannons' go to insuremyride - they are run by the same company, even their helpdesks are next to each other.
  7. I have just insured our two bikes on-line with Swann Insurance. Found the website questions easy to follow, got an immediate quote, bikes were insured within 5 minutes, with a much better price than others I also got quotes from. Worth a look.
  8. and i found swann to be a rip off for me, so everyones case is different
  9. I'd self insure before I touched Swann - In fact,I'd rather be impaled by a rusty star picket than give them a cent of my money.
  10. As a new rider who HASNT dealt with them before, might I ask you to elaborate?
  11. I had car insurance with them.
    I had an at fault accident, it took them a few days to approve the claim but it took them about 4-5 weeks to tell the repairer to start work (in this time i had the panelbeater on my back asking what was going on and if it wasn't sorted i'd have to get my car, and I was calling swann 2 - 3 times a week asking what was going on). I also wrote off 2 cars in the accident, Swann didn't pay them out, So i had two insurance companies chasing me for the money and eventually debt collectors - it took over 6 months to sort out.

There is good and bad stories for every insurance company - But after all of that no feel good story about Swann will sway my opinion of them.
  12. When I got my L's I bought a Ninja 250R and got insurance with Allianz (can only get the insurance through a motorcycle dealer) I have a contact if you would like them to do a quote for you, but you cant call Allianz direct. I got my insurance for the Ninja for $480 for the year. Once you have a policy with Allianz, thats when they will speak with you, but if you don't have a policy they will tell you they don't do motorcycle insurance.

The GSXR600 I just bought only been riding for little over 1 year, insurance for this bike was $800.00 and im only 26yo. SWANN quoted me $1500 and insuremyride was $1200. Comparing the cover, Allianz are extremely competitive. If anyone is interested in a quote with Allianz, send me a pvt message.
  13. Has anyone else noticed the disclaimer at the bottom of the Shannons ad's on TV in reference to your daily drive/ride?

"Except Motorcycles..........."

This is one of the reasons I'm insured with Western QBE, plus they are quite a bit cheaper for me.

I agree with Holster when it comes to Swann. When the b12 had a lie down a few years ago it took Swann and the repairer a month to get their act together and in the end I was without the bike for nearly 3 months.

But my advice is to shop around, get plenty of quotes and make sure you're comparing apples with apples.
  14. I am with Swann as I was with my last bike that I pranged, service has always been excellent. Last bike was written off and claim settled very quickly. Covered gear, only problem is helmet cover only goes to $500.
  15. Shannon's told me they won't insure motorcycles as a daily commute. I did ask then what if I had something to do after work and needed to ride in on that day and they said that was OK. I figured if i needed to claim it was going to be one of those days where I needed to go somewhere after work.

QBE doesn't seem to worry about that, . My commute is now insured with them.