Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Shane Warne - the musical (Review)

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Roaster, May 28, 2009.

1. I watched "Shane Warne - The musical" at the Enmore theatre in Sydney last night and I have to say I was quite impressed.

shanewarne.

Far from being a p!ss take of the man, it is a humerous warts and all biographical account of some of the more significant milestones in his life.

Eddie prefect wrote and starred, and although his voice was a little nasal, he carried the character and tunes very well and the lyrics were considered and clever. An impressive achievement by Prefect - I think he's created somewhat of a contemporary Aussie classic.

The cast included the lead from "Keating!", and were well polished with spot on harmonisation. The band never missed a beat.

Although many of the songs were tongue-in-cheek (including "what an SMmess I'm in", the sledging song, and a heartfelt ballad praising the amber), there were also a number of thought provoking songs which reflected on the more sombre moments of Warnes life.

It was a sellout in Melbourne and ran extended seasons, but bc of the downturn or whatever they've sadly had to cut their Sydney season short.

Well worthwhile seeing, even if you are not a musical sort of person. The subject matter is something that many Australians are familiar with and does not seem as "foreign" as some of the other musicals which seem to eternally get repeat seasons (Chicago and the like).

I'm not a huge fan of cricket truth be told (I find the commentary and lack of action like a lullaby and it literally puts me into a deep sleep in about 15 minutes), but this is a musical that both music lovers and sport lovers can really appreciate.

I dont often recommend musical theatre, but I'd happily recommend this and it was $35 well spent for me. 4 out of 5.

[​IMG]

2. it closed a week earlier than expected

3. What does that tell you?

4. not enough interest in musical theatre in sydney / economic down turn / whatever.

The extended season in melbourne tells me more than the shortened season here.

Shortened season is not an indication of the quality of the show if that is what you were suggesting.

5. yeah I gave that a mention. it is a pity really.

6. Any number of things unrelated to box office activity - venue could have another booking and exercising an option they have, show could have had another booking somewhere else come up (like OS), crucial cast (show couldn't happen without Perfect, for eg) could have to bail...

The actual reason I don't know - I have some friends in the show and am seeing it on their last night, so might be able to report back. Does seem strange since it did really well in Melb and Perth. Producers blamed economy, but you can't believe a word that comes out of a Producer's mouth.

7. More proof that Sydney people know little about the theatre and the arts.. :grin: :grin: :grin:

8. That's why Mamma Mia is doing a return season there in a couple of months. Sh1t the first time, sh1t movie...

9. Although "best new australian work" has to be interpreted with caution ("best new" out of how many?), it is worth a watch if the sydney producers perk up after this and give it a new season.

10. Or maybe that we know more. :p

11. Bite your tongue! Mamma Mia was hilarious :grin: I loved the movie and will be going to see the stage show :)