Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sexually Rejected Flies Turn to Booze

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sciencemag

2. Research in social interaction... ok I get that and I'm sure that there will be some beneficial spinoff for some other related research. that's all cool. but...

Who on earth makes a dedicated decision to research this stuff and who was smoking what when it was suggested (probably at 3am when everything is a good idea) 'guys, lets like, watch flies getting it on right, and then see what they eat afterwards. it'll make us, like famous dude'
  3. Fruit flies have been used a lot for genetic research due to their short gestation and obvious physical display of genetic traits.
    One way to get them to breed for you is to mix males and females in a jar, then gas them with (iirc) CO2 for a few seconds. When they wake up their first instinct is to mate...
    What was my point again? Oh yes...
    I reckon observations of genetic experiments have led to other tests like this one.
  4. We just mashed them and took DNA samples in first year..........im a fruit fly mass murderer lol.