Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Severe back pain

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by HeavyNinja, May 12, 2016.

1. wondering about back pain and cruiser style bikes. I had tremendous lower back pain after riding the vstar 250, now ever since any long drive and or ride on my ninja induces back pain. I never had back pain after long drives or riding my bike before the vstar. Is it possible the upright position and hitting a bump or bumps has jarred something?

2. Start doing some core work. Even a simple plank hold for 5 min per day and gradually extending will help you with back pain. You probably had an underlying condition which the cruiser made worse. Also try to hover above the seat slightly with your legs if you see a large bump coming up to reduce jarring, easier to do on sports bikes though.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Probably. I had a really old dodgy Prado I was flogging from Brisbane to Chinchilla on a regular which eventually compressed a disc in my spine. Basically the cartilage is reduced so a never is exposed to being pinched ext.

The only way round it, and it comes and goes ever since, are every day exercises to strengthen your core. Basically that takes the pressure of your ligaments and spine by your core muscles keeping everything in place. At least that was how it was explained to me.

Funnily enough I can feel when my lower back is going to play up by noticing my hamstrings getting tight a day or two before. So as soon as that happens now I stretch stretch and stretch.

Position 9, when my back gets sore/tight feels awesome.

Heal Your Lower Back Pain With These 5 Yoga Poses

Good luck with it as it can be truly debilitating.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Going to see the chiropractor for first time in 15yrs. I am just starting back at the gym and I do weight based exercise, alot of which is aimed at strengthening lower back and shoulders due to the nature of my work. It doesn't help that I have gained 5kg. However as said no pain at all till the v star and the first time I got off it, I could barely walk, so going to have to blame that for my issue hahahahahaha.
  5. Cruisers tend to distribute the impact of bumps directly up the spine. They also tend to lead to a slumped riding position. This is why I no longer ride one. It seemed so good for the first 10 minutes, but after half an hour it started to hurt.

I would suggest a physio rather than a chiro, as they are more able to give you exercises to go away with and help the long term situation. I would also question weight based exercise in the gym until the pain has gone away. Lastly, I would also suggest the stretching, as suggested by Barters81Barters81 , it works for me too. Hamstrings are a frequent (but not only) cause of lower back pain.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. I've had the unfortunate happen to me when I did some heavy lifting from the back of my car and must have twisted as I lifted and caused a pinched nerve and inflamed spinal cord. After spending two weeks in agony the MRI scan picked up that I actually have a very narrow spinal column so something like this was a high possibility. At the time (6 years ago) I was working in an office job, 8+hrs on a chair all day.

Core strengthening and standing for most of the day has helped quite a fair bit (though a possible hernia isn't helping with the core muscles). I find that I never get sore when I'm riding on my bikes, being adv/dual sports ones you tend to sit up a bit more. Sit me in the car for an hour or two and my back starts to twinge.

As middomiddo suggested, talk to a physio and get them to give you some exercises to do and do some stretching as Barters81Barters81 said, even before a ride, do a 5 minute stretch, that's what I do.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Up to you who you see but personally I would go to see a physiotherapist. If you've been working on strengthening back and shoulders you may well have built up an imbalance in the muscles. It's very common to exercise the wrong ones or to miss a complementary muscle group which allows things to get pulled out of alignment. Getting twisted and cracked by the chiro feels better for a little while but doesn't address the underlying cause. This is stock in trade for physios, they will get it sorted. Chiropractic sounds scientific but it's pretty shaky scientifically, they're poorly regulated, some are absolute quacks, many offer their own x-ray services with out of date high dose instruments that irradiate you unnecessarily.

The marks required to get into Physiotherapy are higher than for medicine, so they are pretty bright people, they're well trained and they're professionally regulated and they will treat the underlying condition so that you get better, rather than milking your wallet for "adjustments" every couple of weeks in perpetuity.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. I know all about back pain and the physio is the go. And if you have extra large tummy muscles, you need to loose some weight. I am working on that plus the core muscles and hopefully stop some of this back pain.
  9. Backpain & cruisers go together. ( google it, plenty of info/ cases)

The forward foot position combined with handle bar reach, creates a nice 'C' body shape, allowing impact to be absorb by the 'tail bone', very few cruisers offer an 'upright' ride position.

True upright riding position, places your feet almost in a vertcle line with your hips, most Adventure bikes offer this position, which is great for long distance riding. Shock is absorb through your feet, knees and back, obviously suspension travel / setup has a lot to do with it. Plenty of older riders, trying to extend their riding longevity by trading in their sports bikes & cruisers for Adventure style bikes.

After years of riding long distances, sports bikes & cruisers are no good for my back. Short rides are fine, but anymore than 2 hrs in the saddle, i'll suffer.
  10. I don't ride every day but can easily do a full tank of fuel on the fattie without pulling over for a break, over 300kms. when riding with sporties they 'need' to stop before I do and have ridden with guys 20yrs my junior that can't hack it. no back issues here, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
  11. Me I have back pain every day of my life
    Crushed vertebrae 80% of my spinal fluid removed from two of my vertebrae ( surgery )
    One year laying in bed ( hard on the family ) and my mental health
    I'm now back at work thank fk
    I walk every day, swim when I can or if it's unbearable I swim
    I rode a gsxr till I couldn't
    I now ride a ktm sd1290r because of my back and no I'm not ritch it's the only way I can ride
    It's going to be a life long battle but if u put in the time u can ride to
    Don't get me wrong some time u will hurt but swim swim swim and u can do it
    Planks and other things I have tried but I'm not there yet, but I plan to get there just take it slow mate
    • Like Like x 2