Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Setting up a VSTROM

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by fartsak, Jun 1, 2008.

1. I am looking at a DL650 when I retire from the NAVY soon to travel to Mecca (MOTOGP) and would like some words of wisdom on any bits that might be handy. I am looking, so far, at radiator/cooler guards, wind deflectors, bashplate, top-box, soft saddle bags, centre stand and a 12v socket. I would like to get a tank bag, but which one? Magnetic, strap on, tank cover? :?:
    I am looking @ 11hr ride from Nowra so any setup tips would be pretty cool too.

Cheers and beers
  2. bah, its' not the Gobi Desert, just get yourself an iPod and hit the road, a trifling journey, not to be taken into account :LOL:.

Actually I don't know its address, but there is a thriving V-Strom forum somewhere where all those esoteric matters are discussed at great depth. Hopefully someone will come up with the url for you.

I've done Wollongong to Melbourne four times on my Hornet 600 with just a basic Ventura and a tank bag; don't over-prepare or you'll spoil your fun....
  3. Thats the link, great site.

What type of riding are you going to be doing? If it is just road and a bit of fire trails I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting all the good bits, although as you are about to retire so that may help you pass the time away until your next step!

Head over to VSRI, search for "farkle" and open up your wallet, there is a never ending list of items to add.
  4. also check out aus touring, and search for glitch....he knows a thing or 2 about the the dl :LOL:
  5. 11 hours only?

Get yourself a vtr250 :p
  6. Thanks for the tips, although I wasn't sure if it was a legit site or p0rn site until I visited. 20+ years in the NAVY as a "birdie" might do that (please no soap jokes!). There is bling everywhere. This trip will be my first foray into long distance as well, so any other tips? Tuning the bike? What spares/tools should I take? I know the local Airhawk rep will be getting a phone call at least.
  7. Other than the basic tool kit, a tyre repair kit and a torch, all you really need is a credit card and some cash.

Hmmm, AirHawk...that reminds me. :)
  8. Hi Fartsak, as I am possibly looking at getting a DL one of these days I have done a fair bit of research on them.

One thing that you will probably want is a Madstad bracket for your windscreen, the Vstroms have a problem with buffeting and this should sort it out by letting you adjust the screen more than stock. http://madstad.com/

Another thing is check out the SW Motech stuff, apparently OEM in europe. They make centre stands, bash plates and engine guards that all work together. Be carefull as some bash plates aren't compatable with the Suzuki centre stand, including the SW one. Also you cant install the bash plate without the engine bars. http://www.norrus.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=10_39_51&osCsid=bae6fbd1ce84ff841dfe8769892fc414

Oh and SW make cooler protectors as well. :)
  9. Replace the fork springs before doing anything. Stock they're WAY too soft. If you have a bit more cash to spare, go cartridge emulators at the same time.

If yet still you have a bit more money, Wilbers rear shock.

Only then would I even consider spending money on other shit.

My Vstrom 1000 has the following

wilbers fork springs, race tech gold comp and rebound valves
    wilbers rear shock with adj hi and low speed comp, rebound and preload
    SW Motech bashplate and pannier mounts
    Decent set of motocross handlebars, standard are too soft.
    SW Motech crash bars.

Only thing left is a set of pipes.
  10. Firstly, great choice of machine! I've almost put 10000kms on my DL and it's all been good.

Previous posts have all had useful info. +1 on the Madstad bracket. I regret not doing it until 6000kms into ownership of this bike. (A$123 incl P&H)

There are quite a few small bits you can stash under the seat other than the standard tool kit. Under mine I've squeezed in:
    approx 20 cable/zip ties of various sizes
    a small roll of cloth tape/duct tape
    a tyre repair kit (CO2 inflator type (like these http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalog.php?category=Tyre Repair Kits
    a set of polyprop gloves
    a few packets of earplugs
    a small sponge and bits of rag for visor cleaning
    tyre pressure gauge
    small LED headtorch
    the amazing "tour prop" stand http://www.andersonstands.com/tour_prop_stand.htm
    Multitool like a leatherman
    Small can of chain lube

I can fit a fair bit into my tankbag - enough for a few days away. It's a magnetic one that has zip off sections to increase capacity. When it's fully loaded it's quite hard to see the instruments...no, probably won't cut it as an excuse for a speeding ticket.

It was hard to get the bag to fit on the tank 100% well due to the fairing uppers being plastic and the flaps on the bag needing metal under them. Easily solved with a couple of kick-ass rare earth magnets glued under the fairing where the flaps of the bag need to sit. Even strong crosswinds won't move the bag now. Prior to this they could - it tests one's reflexes to catch the bag with your forearms before it flops off the tank and lands on your knee...

If you've got hard panniers you can ditch the tankbag. More secure and much less hassle. Pack a small fold-up rucksack like you can get from Kathmandu for about $20. Makes life easier away from the bike.

I put some aftermarket radiator and oil cooler guards, and a light bash plate on too
    From memory the 2 guards plus the bash plate were about $170 landed - exchange rate is great for US$ stuff at the moment.

I just re-read your original post...soft panniers. Doh. The 12V socket I've been thinking about too. Maybe an Aussie distributor for this procuct exists? http://www.powerlet.net/products.php?mid=1

Add some decent handguards to your list too. Better a broken handguard than a smashed hand from some of the shit that gets kicked up at you on the roads. I was thanking my lucky stars that I was in the cage the other week - a fist sized rock got kicked up by a passing truck and did a superb job of destroying the windscreen. The impact was such that even with a laminated windscreen the rock caused the inside of the windscreen to shatter and send 100's of slivers of glass through the cabin. Sounded like a gun going off. I drove home thinking "How likely is it that I would have been able to stay on the bike if that had hit my hand/helmet/shoulder?" Food for thought.

Touratech make some great kit for the DLs too. http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/index.php?cPath=5_46&osCsid=6deffac78606b80291811dbc7a04803a Bar risers, sidestand plate, tankbags...grab a copy of their catalog and dream on!

Come back with any questions or send a PM. Safe riding.
  11. It depends on the type of riding. If you're going to be a back road tar rider then there isn't much that needs to be done.

Tar -

Suzuki hand guards
    PODIA skid-plate
    Givi rack and panniers
    H&B engine guards - but I wouldn't for tar
    H&B centre stand
    Givi top box (Ebay as the generic plate fits the Strom)

Dirt -

Stronger hand guards, doesn't matter what type
    Amotostuff skid plate
    Caribou luggage rack with pelican cases
    H&B engine guards
    H&B centre stand
    Givi top box with plate from Amotostuff (allows you to tie down items on the pillion seat)
    Radiator guard
    Oil guard shouldn't be required with the Amotostuff skid plate

GPS -

Garmin Zumo
    4GB SD Card
    HelmetAudio.com speakers
    Combine the above with www.poidb.com, Garmin's POI loader, Mapsource and the ability to load in to Google earth and finally a Places of Interest to GPX tool you have every interesting thing on face of Australia covered.

Off you go... :) I've put 20,000K's on my 07 DL 650 in the last 7-8 months and will easily have it up to 30,000K's by the time it's 12 months old.

Oh, to fix with windscreen issue - head to your local hardware store and pick up rubber washers or two 1-2cm thick rubber wiring looms and put them under the screen and for $2 you'll have fixed the wind buffeting. Or if you're cheap just cut off two pieces from your hose.

If you get the GPS and put the screen to the top position then simply take a small length of pipe, pinch the ends and paint it black. Drill a hole at each end and bolt it to the top two bolt openings on the screen. Attach the RAM mount to that. Now you don't really need to take your eyes off the road, but it is a bit further way when you want to interact with it.