Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Set Up-Braking

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Guru, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Ok so I'm getting serious about buying a GS500 and rode it to the mechanic to get it checked out- about a 40km round trip (which was nice of the owner to let me take it, and I loved every minute of riding and getting up to 95km/h and felt like I was going to fly off and the wind in my face and blah blah blah-rant).

Now my question is, when I did my learners course, the instructor told us to 'set up' by, when you see any hazard, to press the brakes lightly (once?) to take any tension out of them. But I am predominantly a cager, and when I see a hazard in the car, instead of tapping the brake lightly, usually you just take your foot of the accelerator and keep your foot hovering over the brake ready to push down, which is exactly what I was going when I was riding- when I saw a hazard, I released the throttle and just had my hand and foot over the brakes ready to push down.

What would the ramifications be of what I’m doing( as a newbie I don’t see it as being completely wrong, as I’ve identified the hazard and am ready to brake in any case) as opposed to taking that slight tension out of the brakes before braking hard?

Cheers for any advice/ tips.

2. Do whatever you like. When a problem arises im usually hard on the throttle, or gently on the brakes.

3. That's actually the exact reason I was told by a friend to buy a 500 and not a 250, as you've got that extra grunt to pull away if the need arises.

4. You gotta remember, in a cage you have 4 wheels with it's own set of brakes, unlike us with only 2 ( actually the front brake does 90% of your braking). It's a good habit to be already 'setup' to brake BEFORE you need to. It removes most of the re-action time out of the equation and can save your ass when push comes to shove.

5. Setting up saves you time and puts you into the frame of mind to squeeze rather than grab.

6. Sounds like ur doin it alright........i think the main reason they say to 'set up' the brake by applying a slight pressure is because it actually turns the brake light on before actually engaging the brakes to slow down(without the engine running u should hear a slight click)........this helps alert people behind u who may not hav seen the hazard.
    It also helps reduce the reaction time by 1.2734 seconds which wen traveling at 60kph is ....blahblahblah

7. 21 metres - or at least 2 car lengths.
    Makes a big difference when you do genuinely need it.

8. The other great reason to set up is it trips your brake lights, allowing other road users to see your intentions.

I use this to great effect when being tail gated, just need to apply a bit of pressure on the brake pedal or lever and the light comes on.

9. under emergency braking they teach you to roll of the throttle and apply the brake, so yes i see it as more a cautious way to approach the what if situations.

10. What he said. The best description I've seen of this is in Pat Hahn's Ride Hard Ride Smart.

11. Setup also pre-compresses the forks, so when you do squeeze, the effect is instant.

12. imo carpe juggulum

13. The set-up and squese works very well. It stops you from locking the fron or doing an un-expected stoppie...

This method has saved me countless times. In a real emergency, say when I get cut off un-expectedly I'd just set-up which is like braking lightly then I would start applying as much pressure as I need to...

14. I am only a bewbie aswell, but my set up for a set of lights usually starts with a small amount of rear, then the fronts only.

For hazard perception, I squeeze the front front for a split second, decelerate and wait to see if the need to stop arises.

Remember it's always easier to accelerate quickly than it is to stop.

15. Yours and Terry Pratchett's eh :wink: