Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by BiG DaN91, Jun 18, 2011.

1. my bikes coming up for its 25000km service and i was wondering if it matters if i dont get it done till 25100 or so? i remember my old man always timed his perfectly trying to roll into the shop at the exact number but it might have just been smartass pedantics haha

2. All the difference it makes is that it looks a little better in the logbook if you go to sell it.

The standard distances are a guideline only. If the bike is being used in a normal and responsible way, that's when it should be done. If you know you can't afford to get it done, be a little gentle with it and persist, making sure you check the oil level and top it up if required. If you flog the living daylights out of it, change the oil every 2,000k.

I hear stories of a GS850G that had the oil changed at 1k, 5k & 10k, and never again (nor the filter) until about 160k. They just topped it up and kept going. By that time the engine was pretty rooted, but then so was the rest of the bike. It lived a hard life in other ways as well. I could be wrong but I think it belonged to one of Peter 'the Bear' Theoming's mates.

[edit] For younger readers - the old bloke's riding club is called the Ulysses Club, and features as it's symbol a cartoon of an old bloke on a bike. The Bear drew that cartoon, and was one of the founding members of the club. I think he actually suggested it. He was also the editor of Two Wheels Mag for several years while I was an impressionable youth.
  3. cheers mate, i flog it pretty hard so i better start changing the oil more regularly lol