Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Servicing bike while on warranty

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by liquidshade, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

My bikes a brand new Ninja 300

Just passed 1000k's so i need to get my bike serviced for the first time. Is it like cars in the way that i have to get it serviced by an official Kawasaki dealer or it voids the warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. You can get it done by any certified mechanic. My understanding is that the consumer law states that manufacturers cannot legally bind you to having your bike serviced solely by them.

As I said, as long as its a certified bike mechanic, you'll be fine

• Like Like x 1
  3. G'day, I'm due for my 12k service, would like some advice on warranty and servicing the bike myself. I'm tired of paying $260 for a filter/oil change and would like to do it myself, I read the interweb that if you use OEM parts and have receipts then it's ok to service your bike, then there was opinions where that if you don't have a mech license then you could void the warranty.

What are your thoughts?

4. There is an implied warranty in trade practice laws: all goods must be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose they are sold. The manufacturer's warranty operates alongside this implied warranty. Part of 'fit for purpose' means the bike is expected to survive an oil change. So long as the manufacturer's service procedure is followed it doesn't matter who does the work.

My 2c
    - buy the manufacturer's workshop manual (about $70)
    - use OEM parts.
    - keep records of the work you've done

5. +1 what tony said.
    If still not 100% confident though, contact the local manufacturers head office an seek clarification if it gives you piece of mind.

6. Get it done elsewhere cheaper by a qualified mechanic and then get the book stamped.
    You might still be looking at a minimum 1 hr labour charge but should work out a bit cheaper.

7. Ok cheers.

I'll know what they'll say, they'll give me some spiel that I should take it to a authorised mechanic.

Thanks guys.:)

8. Refer this link for a used vehicle

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/motor-cars/buying-a-used-car/warranties

Vehicles exempt from statutory warranties

A statutory warranty does not apply to motorcycles or cars sold at a public auction.
    Parts and repairs

If your car needs repairs while under statutory warranty, contact the trader from whom you bought it. If you arrange repairs before doing so, your statutory warranty may become void and you may have to bear the costs.
    Second-hand parts can be used as long as they are suitable and serviceable. The time it takes to repair your car is added to the warranty period.

Refer this link for a New Vehicle

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/motor-cars/buying-a-new-car/warranties

Repairs

If repairs are required during the warranty period, we suggest you take the back to the authorised dealer. However, scheduled services can be done by qualified independent mechanics without affecting the warranty, provided:
    • the work is done according to its conditions (manufacturer’s specifications), and
    • genuine parts and lubricants are used.

9. #9 CraigA, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Well that's not my experience. I have rung Yamaha Australia in the past for this very same reason. I was told that anyone competent could service the bike provided they followed the service requirements closely and used consumables that were within spec ( read approved oil type and viscosity and filters, etc) and kept records of the parts used. A log book with reciepts sufficed at the time.
    Don't take my word for it though. Ring your manufacturer's public relations department.

10. Will my warranty be affected if the periodic service is done by a non – authorised repairer?
    As warranty covers the unit for manufacturing defects only, ensuring your motorcycle is regularly maintained using approved lubricants and replacement parts will ensure that the coverage afforded by the manufacturer’s warranty is not affected. However please be aware that manufacturer’s warranty does not cover failures caused by faulty workmanship or the use of non-approved replacement parts or lubricants. We strongly recommend you use an authorised Suzuki dealer as they are factory trained, have the necessary special tools and access to up to date technical information.

11. I took this up with BMW Motorrad Australia a couple of months ago. The twat in charge of my local service department, when asked for a service quote, told me I "brought the bike interstate, take it back there".

BMW told me as long as I used genuine parts and approved lubricants and could prove so, they were happy for me or any qualified mechanic to do servicing.

Considering my current stealer quote for a 10K service is $50 more than the one done at BMW Albury, which included a new front tyre and fitting, I'll be using this option.

12. I recently had my muffler replaced under warranty and they did not ask to see any service records what so ever.

13. RS Suzuki gave me the scare speech saying that my warranty is pretty much voided because I went to a non Suzuki dealer for servicing.

14. Pretty sure its allowed through consumer laws. They can't void your warranty unless you used non specified products to do the job.