Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

servicing bike my self.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bike_noob, Mar 22, 2010.

1. hey guys i have decided to give my bike a service.instead of wasting money at the service centre im going to use the money to buy the tools and do it myself.
    its a gs500f, the guy i bought it off lost the manual and i have been unable to find it online (which is very strange considering its a fairly popular model)

anyways i have '04 GS500f
    I need to do an oil change
    spark plugs

any info/tips how to replace air filters, other things im missing/forgetting that need to be changed,cleaned,fixed etc???

also how do i get the fairing open is there a special tool for it?

2. Do yourself a favour and spring for a Haynes manual if you can't find anything online. You're only making your life more difficult than it needs to be by trying to avoid it, and increasing your chances of making expensive mistakes.

That said, the GS500 is a simple and basic machine by modern standards and anyone with the coordination to ride a motorcycle should have no problem servicing it with the appropriate book to hand.
  3. On the naked version the tasks you mentioned are dead simple.

As for the fairing this too should be very straight forward.

Having said that occasionally its not a bad idea for the "pros" to have alook at it too to ensure you havent missed something or for more technical tasks eg valve clearance checks.
  4. Fairing screws are either a 4 or 5mm allen key, I can't remember which. Start from the bottom and work your way up so the whole panel doesn't fall out pivoting on the last screw down the bottom. Also check for any of those annoying little plastic clips holding the two main panels together on the underside.

Get a manual, or a walk-through, and have all the tools you will need handy. Nothing worse than having the bike in bits and needing to shoot down to the hardware/auto store for the one thing you forgot.

Only other hint that comes to mind would be to do it with a fairly empty tank - you don't need to drain it or anything, but it'll be much easier to lift/remove with only a couple of litres of fuel in it than full of 20 litres sloshing around.

Have fun!
  5. I think I have a PDF of the service manual at home for the older model without fairings. I also have a 2004 supplement which has the changes for that year onwards (fairing, etc.). I'll have a look when I get home and try and find a way to get it to you (it's pretty big for a PDF, about 75MB I think).
  6. Good work mate. I made the same decision a few months ago and have got to the stage where I can do a major service myself. Not only am I saving money but I feel so much better on the bike, especially when I'm in the middle of nowhere :)

* That bolt does not need to be as tight as you think ! Pay attention to how tight bolts are when you take them off, and what material you are bolting. If it is aluminium take care. I bought a Warren and Brown torque wrench and went around the bike checking each bolt against the recommended settings in my manual. In some cases I thought "I would have tightened it much harder than this !! Thank Gawd I did'nt !!".

* Don't drown your bike in lubricant - If your doing your lubrication points you don't need to absolutely drown the bike.

* Keep careful track of the steps your taking to disassemble things. When I stripped my carby for the first time I actually took photos of things as I was progressing. It did come in handy later !

The only other thing I can suggest is that you get a mechanic to check your work afterwards, especially the brakes !