Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Servicing a 2008 Yamaha R6

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by raictify, Feb 10, 2015.

1. G'day All,

I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha R6 with 13,600km. The service book has been stamped at 1000km, 2300km and the last service was at 7500km. The last service is somewhat questionable as it was not in the book when I inspected the bike before the sale. The owner claimed it has been serviced with a mechanic and that he could get the booked stamped, which he did before the sale.

After the sale he told me that it is probably due for the next service soon. I checked the service intervals in the manual and they are set at 1000, 10,000 and then 20,000. I'm not sure exactly what happened with the last service, maybe he did a minor service himself and had a friend that works a mechanic sign off on it.

Do you guys think I should get it in for a service before 20,000km? I called two places for a quote on the service and it seems to be around $300-$350 for 2.5 hours labour, new spark plugs, oil, break fluid and other checks. Does this sound reasonable?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That price sounds reasonable to me - I'd certainly be happy to pay that for the work listed. But then, my last service was $300+ for just an oil change and air filter clean.

I say get the service done, that way you know for a fact when the last service was and you won't spend the next 5000km+ worrying about it. I almost always get a 2nd hand vehicle serviced as soon as I get it, just to establish the baseline, because in reality the full history of it is unknown despite what the book may say.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'd be most concerned that a near 7 year old bike has only had 3 services. I'd get it in ASAP.
  4. Chain.... check the chain before you do anything!
  5. I'd be worried about a shop suggesting new plugs for 13,600km
  6. save your money and do the work yourself. its dead easy .
    having the service book stamped means crap all to me.
    receipts of the work done means alot more to me then seeing a fancy stamp in a book!
  7. Thank you all for the advice. I've decided to take it in for a service. Yeah Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy and CBF'dCBF'd I think you are right, better to sort it out now and be worry free for the rest of the year.

InvalidUserInvalidUser , the chain is good, I had it checked by a mechanic in a pre-sale inspection.

iClintiClint , only one of the shops mentioned the plugs. The bike is 7 years old, could that be a reason to suggest a replacement?

Nick gsxr750Nick gsxr750 , I'm not very mechanically inclined and I also lack the tools. That being said I'm sure your right about it being easy enough. I will look into doing the next service myself when I have more time and patience.
  8. The bike has done very little mileage perhaps ~2000km a year, 3 services over that time while not ideal is probably adequate and only to change the oil. Even then oil has a shelf life stored in a sealed container of 5 years or more, so when not doing a lot of mileage and the oil sitting in the bikes sump at worst it absorbs a little moisture which would boil off in about 10mins of running the engine and not really effect its performance. Seeing as the bike isn't under warranty the service history is completely moot and some old oil is no big deal.

My only concern would be the condition of fuel and brake hoses along with condition of brake fluid.

for peice of mind I'd just replace all the fluids and perform all the basic checks adjusting/lubing where necessary.

SparkPlugs should be good for 40-50,000km.

If you can't perform this maintenance yourself you're at the mercy of the workshops, however cheaper isn't necessarily better. I'd go to a workshop that isn't also a dealer and get some recommendations.

2.5 hours is reasonable for the labour as is ~$100 an hour. Add in cost of fluids and filter and 300-350 is a fair quote.

If hoses are perished and need replacing you'd need to factor that it to the cost as well.

It's well worth learning to perform these checks and do basic maintenance yourself, it's very satisfying, and if you do a lot of mileage will save you a lot of money.
  9. iClintiClint , thank you for the detailed reply. That sounds like some good advice.