Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Service checklist

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by heffa, Oct 30, 2006.

1. After having done alot of my own work on my last few cars, Im planning to do as much as possible on my bike as well.

Can anyone suggest a general checklist of stuff to inspect, ie
    Front calipers / pads
    Fork seals
    change oil / filter

2. The type of work you can do depends on what tools you have of course, and bikes can differ in the attention they need too, ie: shaft, belt or chain drive- carburetted(sp) or injected etc.
    I'll assume (the mother of all mistakes) that you don't have your owners manual or a workshop manual so i'll list some of the things manuals say to check and possibly adjust DAILY:
    Throttle cables.
    Cooling system (check for leaks, check level etc).
    Fuel system (check for leaks, loose hoses)
    Lights- Headlight, brakes, indicators etc.
    Steering- check for free operation.
    Forks- check for smooth operation leaks etc.
    Brake fluid levels and pad wear.
    Drive chain slack.
    Tyres- check pressures and inspect for cracks, screws, missing chunks etc.
    Wheels- check for damage.

Generally i will take care of any of the above as soon as they appear so when it comes time for servicing my bike i will:
    Change oil and filter (every 5000km-ish for my liking)

Then every 15,000 - 20,000km i'll make a day of it and:
    Replace air filter.
    Change oil and filter here too.
    Change brake fluid (and check the system for leaks).
    New spark plugs.
    Coolant change.
    The valve clearances are done around this time too, but i leave that to a mechanic. And while they're doing that they may as well check the throttle bodies and lube the headstock and rear wheel bearings.

Some people may regard these intervals as extreme or not extreme enough. But in the end it's your bike and it's up to you how you ride it and how you take care of it.
    Cool. hope this helps :cool:
  3. If you've been working on cars, you'll find bikes much easier. Everything is readily accessible.
    If you've just bought a bike, I'd start with changing/flushing all fluids, grease all bearings (wheel, swingarm and steering stem). Oil all control cables and grease/clean clutch/brake levers and throttle mechanism.
    Then a thorough tune up (plugs, air filter, ponts if you have em).
    Brake pads are easy to inspect visually, and if the brakes work well enough and you have enough friction material on the pads, I'd leave them alone.
    All these things will reward you with a nice reliable bike that feels new, no matter what it's age.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. One other thing to remember is vibration on a bike (especially a single) is usually worse than with a car - so make sure you check all the bolts/screws/etc holding the bike together are tight on a regular basis. On old British bikes I believe this was routinue at every set of traffic lights :p - but on a Japanese bike something you probably only need worry about at each oil change. If you've just bought the bike definately change all the fluids as mentioned above - I'd also be changing the fuel line or any other hoses that look like they might have been on the bike since it was built (rather than wait for them to split).
  5. The occasional change of fork oil (20-30,000km) can do good things for handling too... Put a heavier weight in, the japanese spec their bikes for midget jockeys.
  6. Cheers guys. Good stuff!
    The SRX is nice and straight forward. Air cooled, card, 250cc thumper.
    I had it serviced when I bought it (RWC). Ive had to tighten the chain 3x in the last 3-4 mths, so I'll be putting in a new chain next weekend. Been advised I pick up a DID chain.
    Will probably book it in for a service in a few weeks, but will ask him not to replace anything. That way I can do some of it myself
  7. I'd have a look around for the service manual for your bike. It will probably have servicing intervals, and all sorts of good information about chain tension, valve clearances and that kind of thing. You might be able to find a manual online somewhere, or just buy one from your local dealer.
  8. If you're gonna replace the chain, have a good look at the sprockets as well. Worn sprockets will eat a new chain real quick. Some people say to replace the sprockets every second chain.

Oh the joys of shaft drive bikes.