Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Separation Anxiety - Can I actually let go of my bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ad91on, Oct 11, 2011.

1. I have been toying with the idea of selling my precious VFR400 for some time now. I have ads up around the place, and have been in no particular hurry to sell. A couple of enquires here and there, nothing too serious...

But i just got off the phone with a guy who is willing to give me $4k ASAP.

I want $4500 for it, non-negotiable pretty much. But it made me ask myself the question... if someone came along, with $4500, would I let them have the bike? The thought of letting go, even knowing that I will get another bike within the next few days of selling it, is unbearable to think. It's like the bike and I have bonded, it's like we know each other... Every now and then, in a moment of passion, i will have the firm conviction of Yes, i will sell this bike and use the money for something more useful and buy a cheaper, less license-losing bike, something cheaper and more practical to run, too.

But no. I can't. I can't face letting go of my baby. So much so that i bumped up the asking price to $5k, and was tempted to bump it to $6k!

Has anyone had this sort of separation anxiety when selling a bike? My fear is that i will sell it and then never find a suitable replacement until i am on my full license (there aren't many lams VFR's around) if i really can't find another bike i like. Am i crazy? Is this stupid? Have I fallen in love with an inanimate object? Help me doctor!
  2. Its fairly common.

The greater majority by bikes as a whole lot more than just transport. Spend hours and hours looking after them and protecting them from strangers.

Ive got my bike for sale at the moment. still dealing with the issue of giving away something that you love. What takes the case for me is that Ive done less than 200 km's in six months and still dont want to let go :p
  3. Just take the ads down, just keep it and buy more bikes
  4. I can sort of sympathize with you. I never want to let my DR650 go. Nothing ever goes wrong with it unless I physically break something. It's got a rugged charm that no other bike has. It's so damn reliable, full choke and it always starts cold no dramas, no choke and it barely has to spin the starter motor to hot start. I often go up and hug it around the headlight shroud and handlebars after a ride, I pat it, and I call it 'Betsy'. I am going to keep this bike until the engine gets to a point when it needs another rebuild but it cannot be rebuilt anymore (is there actually a point where an engine can no longer be rebuilt or is it just another load of crap my mate told me?).

OT but. Say Holster, didn't you used to be a mod?
  5. Yep - I asked to be removed
  6. Why do you want to sell the VFR? If you are still on lams, and you like the bike as much as you say you do, why sell it for? Stick with it until the lams are finished and then reconsider selling. I'm on my p's and have no intention of parting with my CB until I cam ride a massive bike. Doesn't mean I'm gonna upgrade straight away tho. I love my CB as much as you love the VFR.
  7. I could never sell my bike. Its more than "just" a means of transport and even feels like shes got a personality, its an extension of me for sure. My husband sold his bike a few months back - it needed a complete engine rebuild and we just cant afford that right now and it really had to go, but he couldn't bring himself to be here when the time came.
  8. Keep the VFR, ride it till it dies or you crash it. Fix it up and use it as a track bike...then get yourself another bike.
  9. My wife had been considering selling her M750. But the mere thought of getting rid of it gave her heart palpitations. So, even though it isn't the most comfortable bike, doesn't really have enough power for her and it's a 2 to 3 hour ride to the nearest mechanic that will service it, she is keeping it. Until she can afford the new 848 Streetfighter.
  10. I want to sell it because i am going to lose my license on it. Simple as that.

Other than that main motivating factor, i would like to dabble in other kinds of bikes, too, as originally i wanted an adventure/dirt bike but fell in love with this one...

phongus, you speak my language :p I think i would feel better about getting rid of it after i had taken it to a track, so i am never left wondering what if...
  11. I can totally understand... My Hyo is my little baby, even though my general name for her is 'my fat biatch'... I still love it. Semi grateful I will have to do green Ps as though I do look at other bikes, she's still mine and I love her hehe
  12. Lol, you crack me up. Learn self control bro. I lost my license once in my car, back in the days when I, as you, had very little self control. It definitely taught me a lesson. There's no point going back and buying something slower now, coz you've already tasted the fruits of the speeding tree. You're always gonna want more, and a less sweet fruit will never satisfy you. Being unlicensed sucks the biggest amount of balls imaginable. Try to control your hoon factor and enjoy the VFR man
  13. Got a solution to your problem!! Daz on here is selling a VFR 800!! nice bike indeed!!
    Buy his bike, sell yours, you have TWICE the viffer you had before :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That would be the most logical upgrade for me in a years time.
  15. Of course, the stupid thing here is i lost my license for a year last year and STILL i have no restraint, at least on the bike...

It's not like i do massive hooning (aside from endless whoolies everywhere) it's just that my uni run has a very wide, tempting stretch of 80km/h zone which consistently sees me going 20c over the 80... maybe i'm paranoid.
  16. Be super careful mate. And take it to the track. Get it all out there so you dint have to do it (so much) on the road. I'll race you around the track. At the end of the day, losing a license is just not worth it. It messes with your whole life.

I don't think selling the bike would be a cure to your ailment. So, keep it, but be freaking careful
  17. If keeping your licence is your main criteria then you need to think about 50-125cc scooters, not real motorcycles.
  18. Agree either learn control or buy a small scooter. Even 250cc dirt bikes will get you in trouble.

A good way to learn control is to crash, then you know how much it hurts.
  19. Yes and no. I certainly learnt some lessons from crashing, but slowing down wasn't one of them. In some respects I actually ride faster now than I did before my last crash (2004).

No, what he has to learn is 'time and place'.
  20. them are pretty big balls my man.

Or maybe you're just paranoid.