Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Sep 4, 2016] Glow worms & night riding (Carrara, QLD)

Discussion in 'QLD' started by Valvoline, Aug 27, 2016.

Glow worms & night riding
Start Date: Sep 4, 2016 17:00
End Date: Sep 4, 2016 21:00
Time Zone: Australia/Brisbane +10:00 AEST

Zaraffas Nerang
85 Spencer Rd
Carrara, QLD 4211

Posted By: Valvoline

Confirmed Attendees: 1
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Ever wanted to see the GC's famous most glowing bums? Want some night riding experience? Want a little adventure? Ever wanted to take your other half for a romantic ride?
    Open to all.
    Just let me know prior what skill level so I can adjust to suit. :)

Natural Arch ride to see the GLow worms and microbats!

Meeting place: Zaraffas Nerang - 85 Spencer Rd, Carrara QLD 4211
    (there's a caltex petrol station right next door).
    What time? 5:30pm for a warm drink. 6pm departure.

Route? https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Zarraffa's+Nerang,+85+Spencer+Rd,+Carrara+QLD+4211/-27.9916973,153.248105/-28.1208625,153.1830116/Natural+Bridge,+Springbrook+National+Park,+Springbrook,+Queensland/-28.0071842,153.3436412/@-28.1120402,153.115419,11z/data=!4m17!4m16!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b911baaaa49b113:0x64f938081dbbd3be!2m2!1d153.3438013!2d-28.0073365!1m0!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b90e0cbacb3dec1:0xba0e217c68a10e9a!2m2!1d153.2424117!2d-28.2307512!1m0!3e0?hl=en
    We'll take the taxi driver way, to stop at a few lookouts to see the sun set and then get to the caves once the sun has set.

What to bring: A warm jacket for the cave and if you have a torch (preferably with red light capability as not to disturb the fauna at the cave).
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Omg you'll kill them if you shine a torch on them... Please please go really slowly and let your eyes adjust and leave your torch off as often as you can. They're beautiful, but they're fragile little things

Also, I'm wicked jealous!!!!! I want to come!!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh Steve VtecSteve Vtec , you would love this place! We've had some rains during the week so the falls are pretty spesh :) altho summer the glow worms shine the brightest , but they're stil shoo pruuu-ty!
    Oh and the torch is for the steps leading down into the cave !! NOT to play roadkill with the worms! Lol
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ah :)

Do you know Gary McGuire? He is in Springbrook and is one of the leading researchers in the world in bioluminescence, glowing mushrooms and glow worms and fireflies are his thing. He's got a property in the national park in Springbrook and if you email him he'll take you and some mates on a small tour showing you some hectic glowing mushrooms and glow worms and he knows like everything about them. I had such a good time when I visited. Go in Jan/feb, it's way better
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That looks like a fabulous route.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Might have to come down on the Grom, see how I feel haha
  7. Keep an eye out for wallabies near the prison.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ugh I'm so jealous!!!!! The moment I'm up north with a bike, I'm calling you Viv. I can't wait.

I might organise a glow worm mission to Helensburgh next weekend before the spring has sprung ride..... I'm so keen!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hey, were you up Mt Mee last Saturday? Saw a black grom at the lookout up there.

ValvolineValvoline doubt I would make it Sunday night - my headlight is useless! Also, going on a big ride up around Bunya Mtns on Saturday - welcome to come if you like.
  10. ENVY. Just...gah.
  11. Haha unfortunately not, I worked a graveyard shift Friday night/Saturday morning and was asleep all day Saturday.
  12. Well, someone else in Brissy has same taste in bikes as you then
  13. Haha not surprising, these little things are pretty popular and they only come in one of 3 colours.
  14. I'd be up for a long ride but this weekend I have to do some renos... Hence no Saturday ride org. But to get my riding fix hence the glow worms ride... And yeah. My headlight is shotty too! o_O
  15. Sporting my new $3.50 "lady sports bag". Sun set time; Getting ready to go.... :sneaky::smug: Glowing bums here we come!
    image. image.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. would have been a great night for it. hope it was illuminating.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. image. NosohNosoh ... You should try capture these with your camera & skills ;)
    • Like Like x 1