Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Sep 25, 2016] Sunday-day Tuesday-night learner ride / Jack's... (Victoria)

Discussion in 'VIC' started by jack_1313, Sep 12, 2016.

Sunday-day Tuesday-night learner ride / Jack's...
Start Date: Sep 25, 2016 10:00
End Date: Sep 25, 2016 16:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Mcdonalds carkpark in Diamond Creek
Bubba Pizza Diamond Creek, 33 Main Hurstbridge Rd, Diamond Creek VIC 3089
Victoria 3089

Posted By: jack_1313

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. #1 jack_1313, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Sunday-day Tuesday-night Learner Ride / Jack's I'm-Fleeing-the-Country Ride

Hello! Jack here.

As some of you heard already, I’m off to Amman early next month and won't be back for a while. If there’s one thing I want to do before I leave, it’s to go for a good bash around the countryside with old friends who frequented the Tuesday night learner rides and post-ride pizza sessions a few years ago (I've been too busy to attend over the last two years). If you were part of that crew and don’t remember me by name, I was the guy on the blue Hornet 250 and later the red Hornet 900.

I think the best day do this ride is probably a Sunday, specifically Sunday the 25th of September.

The ride should begin around 10:00am in Diamond Creek and will probably head through Kingslake, Toolangi, and Healesville/Black Spur and involve lunch/coffee at the Black Spur Inn. I’ll work out a specific route and other details closer to the date and update this post.

My main reason for organizing this ride is certainly to catch up with old friends, but everyone who wishes to take part is welcome to come along :) If it’s just a small group, we can regroup at set points along the route. If it’s a large group, I’ll lead the ride in the conventional manner, but those who are a bit faster will be welcome to rush ahead (I haven’t done recreational riding for a while and was never that fast anyway). In the spirit of the Tuesday-night rides, this will be a learner friendly ride.

Please just post here if you think you can make it!

Edit: Specific Details:

Meet time:
    10:00-10:15am for a 10:30 departure
    Meet place: McDonalds car park in Diamond Creek
    Finish time and location: about 4:00pm in the city
    Route: See my post below.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Good on you Jack, I remember meeting at Platinum Cafe on the odd occasion with you for the tuesday night rides, although I can't make this one, I hope you get a decent turnout for this occasion, should be a few familiar faces.

3. I'll be up for this Jack. Ridden with you once or twice on a Tuesday.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bugger - I'm away that weekend. This is exactly the kind of ride I'd be up for though, as I'm an L-player from nearby Montmorency.
  5. Hey Ned! Sucks that you can't make it. I just hope the weather is nice enough to draw a few people out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. For now, count me in Jack.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. #7 Nucleatic, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Hey Jack, yes I'm tempted, will confirm later on.

Yes, I'll be there.
  8. Unless the weather turns to cactus i'll be in
  9. Awesome. Here's the route that I've got in mind:

Google maps link

It's all familiar territory for me except for the post-Black Spur right turn and loop around back to Healsville via the mountain. I haven't gone that way before but it looks pretty windy on the map. (The alternative would be to backtrack through the Black Spur). Four and a half hours on the bike plus lunch and rest stops might take us to about five and a half hours all up. So the idea will be to get back into Melbourne at around 4pm.

Let's aim to meet at the Mcdonald Car Park in Diamond Creek around 10:00-10:15 for a 10:30 departure.

I'm not 100% sure on the numbers yet. It looks like seven people that I know about plus anyone who joins over the next few days or randomly shows up on the day. I'll send out texts to confirm whose coming the day before so I know who to wait for on the morning. Weather forecast looks good so far.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Not sure if it was your intention but you will have to go through a bit of unpaved road on Donna Buang Rd between the top of Mt Donna Buang (Rd 2) and Don road unless they paved it in the last year or so. Also Acheron way is unpaved.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hey Jack. Ive got my kids this weekend so I cant make it. Lots of great memories of the Tuesday night rides where I learned how to ride. Hope you have a great day. Ned
  12. Sorry Jack, I'm out. Bike wont be ready for the weekend. Enjoy Amman.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Trust you realize there are some serious dirt sections on your route.
  14. Yep, I do now thanks to your comments. Ill replan that section to avoid the dirt.
  15. I'm in. It's been far too long.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Weather looking ok on the radar. Obviously its pretty miserable at the moment.
  17. It rained itself out. It's a beauty of a day.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Looking forward to the ride, see you in Diamond Creek.
  19. Thanks everyone for the ride today, interesting roads, goods weather & great company.

All the best for Amman, Jack I hope its a great experience for you.
  20. Thanks for the ride guys! It was great to get out again. Unfortunately I'm not much of a photographer: