Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Sep 21, 2013] 3rd Sat Brunch Burn #6 (Hartley)

Discussion in 'NSW' started by GJ384, Sep 6, 2013.

3rd Sat Brunch Burn #6
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013 08:00
End Date: Sep 21, 2013 13:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Full Throttle Diner

Hartley, NSW

Posted By: GJ384

Confirmed Attendees: 3
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 3
  1. #1 GJ384, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    I’d originally planned to restart the 3rd Saturday Brunch Burns in October, but given today’s ridiculously good weather I’ve decided to move it a month earlier!

And what better way to get these rides going again than to repeat the route we used for the first run? We’ll be heading back to the Full Throttle Diner at Hartley. This time, though, we’ll do the full length of Bells Line of Road to Lithgow, then come back to Hartley from the other side.

We’ll meet at 8am for an 8:30 depart from McDonald’s at McGraths Hill (http://goo.gl/maps/fGPKB).

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have read and understood the "Supervision" section below.

DATE: Saturday 19 October 2013

DURATION: 226km/3h22m total riding time - expect to return to McGraths Hill at about 12.30pm.

DESTINATION: Full Throttle Diner, Hartley (http://goo.gl/maps/M0Dv1)

Please ensure you have a full tank when you begin. The first refueling stop will be at Mount Victoria after brunch at Hartley - approx 114km ex McGraths Hill.

Anyone - these rides are learner friendly and all are welcome - the only rule is no idiots. By that I mean we stick to the speed limit, there will be no wheelies or dangerous/reckless riding, and if you want to overtake you do so when safe in the next lane to the right - not over unbroken white lines, not on the left, and not within the same lane as the person you're overtaking.

Note however that some parts of this ride will be on roads which have posted limits above 80km/h, and some learners might not be comfortable on those roads given the faster other traffic which might be around. You must ride your own ride - do not try to keep up with others if you're not comfortable going as fast as they are.

This is a supervised ride - please make sure you understand the "Supervision" section below. If at any time you're feeling pressured by faster vehicles behind you, just find a safe spot to pull over and allow them to pass. The last rider in the group will catch up and wait with you until you're ready to get back on the road again.

8.00am - meet at McGraths Hill McDonald’s (http://goo.gl/maps/fGPKB)
    8.30am - depart and head west along Old Windsor Rd
    - over the Hawkesbury River bridge
    - left at Freemans Reach Rd
    - right at Gorricks Ln
    - right at Kurmond Rd/Crooked Ln roundabout
    - right at Bells Line of Road

Then in Lithgow:
    - right at Lithgow St
    - left at Main St
    - left at Great Western Highway

10.15am - arrive at Full Throttle Diner, Hartley (http://goo.gl/maps/M0Dv1)

Afterwards we’ll head back up Victoria Pass and stop for fuel at the Caltex at the top of the hill, at which point some might wish to go back via Darling Causeway and Bells Line again (http://goo.gl/maps/7ldEI), while others may opt to return via the Great Western Highway (http://goo.gl/maps/Dz4jK).

Assuming we’re at Full Throttle for about an hour*, those coming along should expect to McGrath’s Hill McDonald’s at approx 12.30pm. This should mean most of you can get home in time for a late lunch - which is the main idea behind these rides after all.

* Keep in mind that we may be there a little longer. As someone (Shaun?) observed last time we went there, the term “Full Throttle” does not apply to the service… I’ll book in advance when we know numbers.

This is how it's going to work:
    1. The person riding behind the leader is automatically the corner marker.
    2. At an intersection, the leader will hold out his left hand and point to the side of the road, to let the corner marker know it's time to pull over.
    3. The corner marker pulls over as directed, with their indicator on in the direction of the turn.
    4. All riders pass the corner marker and proceed in the direction indicated.
    5. When the last rider - the "Tail End Charlie" (TEC) - passes the corner marker, the TEC gives the corner marker a big wave to let them know there's no-one else coming.
    5. The corner marker is now the new TEC.

It is the leader's responsibility to ensure he doesn't lose sight of the corner marker in his mirrors, otherwise the corner marker will become lost and so will everyone else. It's the TEC's responsibility to make sure the corner marker knows they're the TEC. It's everyone else's responsibility to ensure they don't wave at the corner marker unless they're the TEC!

Please make sure you understand the above before coming on this ride. Don't be afraid to post in this thread if there's any part you don't understand. If you come along you will need to know how it works.

As usual, if the weather is uncertain, I will make the call by 6am and post here to say whether or not the ride is going ahead.

Who is in? As always, suggested changes to the route are always welcome.

2. Anyone?
  3. I'll meet you at McGraths Hill McDonald’s.
  4. Excellent. See you there!
  5. So far looks like 6 of us all up:

Good size - might not need corner markers after all! Should be a really nice ride.
  6. Slight change of plans - due to lack of numbers for the M4 meetup, we'll just all meet at McGraths Hill now - I'll be there at 8ish. See you all tomorrow!
  7. @GJ384 - Would like to join you but tyres in bad condition after chasing @BillyO up and down the Oxley last weekend. 18000kms out of the D205s so will try Bridgestone BT45s. A lot less $s than the Dunlops and have good reviews. Changing over on Monday.

Have a good ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Late notice starter - see you at McGraths Hill.

9. Did you guys notice the temperature on the funeral joint at Lithgow this morning? Bloody 7c when I went through at 9.20am ... no wonder I was cold & it seemed to get colder the further inland I went.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It did drop a fair bit.. hope you had a great ride @Snapey :)
  11. I didn't see the sign, but my phone told me it was 5 degrees!