Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sena boom vs stick on mic quality

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by FatBoy_T, Jul 23, 2015.

1. I guess in some respects, I could answer this myself with a bit of testing, but I'm curious about others experience too, especially WRT noise cancellation.

I have a full face helmet and I always assumed that the cleanest mic installation for the 20S would be to put the stick on, wired mic just off centre in front of my mouth. However, in this review of the 10C at the 5:26 mark they comment that the boom mic is better quality and better for noise canceling.

"Fair enough", I thought, "I guess they must use the back of the mic for some sort of cardioid arrangement." However, having received my 20S, it doesn't appear that there is any opening on the boom mic other than on the mouth side of the capsule. So it too must be relatively omnidirectional and rely on proximity and DSP for noise reduction.

Has anybody done any good real world comparisons? I'm not vlogging, so I don't need to capture the sound of my bike. Just looking for good, clear communications.

2. Chris
    The mics are UNIDIRECTIONAL and sensitive to the front (where your mouth is) ;-).
    There is an opening on the "active"side of the boom's and not elsewhere.

BUT it all comes down to signal to noise ratio's, the boom can be rested againdt your mouth - signal is much greater than surrounding noise, the stick on mic tends to be further away form your mouth - worse signal to noise

3. Are you sure? They don't look like it. Unidirectional mics typically have a port at the rear or sides so that the sound arriving in that direction can be subtracted from the sound arriving from the front. (Sound goes around corners remember, so just having the hole on one side only helps with really high frequencies).

It's not uncommon for communications microphones to be omnidirectional and use proximity for SNR. It does have advantages like not suffering from proximity bass effect, and not losing the audio you want altogether if the person is a little off axis.

4. In my experience, the booms are great, the stick ons are shiteful.

• Like Like x 1