Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Semi-automatic Gearbox

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Latest news from the Paris Motorcycle expo is that the new Yamaha FJR1300 "...will feature an electric-shift, 5-speed transmission that eliminates the clutch lever entirely. Shifts occur either through the traditional foot-operated gearshift lever or the left bar-mounted paddles. In either event, no manual clutch operation is involved".

2. That may be kinda cool. May take a little while to get used to, but do you think as far as accelrating and decallarating goes it would be the same as driving a tiptronic like the dogey magna style without the clutch aswell?

3. Seems like it's a conventional gearbox, operated electronically so there shouldn't be any difference - in fact shifts should be faster for all but the most experienced riders. The sequential system in the Magna and most cars are just an auto with manual select which is why they suck.

4. You use a clutch?

:twisted: :D :D :D

5. If it works as well as the DSG gearboxes in the new Golfs then it should work bloody well.

Only problem is you won't be able to clutch dump :p

6. I've been test driving cars lately -and most of the European ones with this type of gearbox are excellent. The Peugeot and Renault are really good but the Golf with the 6 speed is wonderful - much faster and smoother change than you could do manually.

I suspect that if the Yamaha one is up to that standard it will be a lot of fun. :LOL:

TonyE

7. Yeah...the DSG is amazing...so good in fact it convinced my mum to shell out $50,000 on a GTi....and she's 68 :shock:

8. I was driving the 2.0 TDi - the diesel. Really good performance but a bit harsh but that transmission was a lot of fun...

TonyE.

9. I dunno what the problem was you had with the Magna tiptronic gearbox, the engine and box is the only good part of the car! I drove an Advance model for over a year and loved the power and the gearbox was good in auto, and great shifted manually
    just my feeling anyway

10. The problem is that because they still have a torque converter you lose the direct feel that a clutched manual gives you. The DSGs on the otherhand because of their use of dual clutches (one on 1, 3 and 5 and one on 2, 4, 6 and reverse) are great because you still get the direct "snick" of a good manual and they actually preselect the gears for you. I believe the DSG in the GTi is capable of an 8ms upshift (thanks to control over the ignition) and a ~600ms downshift with an included automatic (and spot on perfect) heel-toe.

The result is closer to driving a super-sequential then a tiptronic.

11. Best system however is still that used by Alfa Romeo, Porsche?, Ferrari and Formula 1 in which a conventional clutch and 'box is used but is operated by computer - I'm guessing this is probably the setup on the Yamaha. It has been proven that a professional can shift a fraction of a second faster than the computer but realistically it means all the performance (and light weight) of a manual with perfect shifts every time.

12. Ok, guys, I haven't had the luck to drive one of those cars, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge (did drive a Ferrari 308 Dino once....)

13. Bug your local VW dealer for a test drive of a DSG Golf (or find an Audi dealer with a DSG A3 or TT). They're well worth driving just out of interests sake and I have a suspicion we'll see a LOT more gearboxes of that type in the near future as Mitsubishi are putting one in the Evo X and Nissan, Mazda, Mercedes, GM and Ford all have similar designs on the drawing boards.

14. Is this the same sort of transmission used in the original Merc A-class, back in 1998?

15. Don't think so, pretty sure the original A-class Merc ran a conventional gearbox/clutch that was electronically controlled, the same system that was used in many of their light commercials. The VW system is similar but as described earlier uses two seperate clutches making it slightly more complex and heavier.
    Click Here for more info on semi-auto gearboxes

16. hmmm, fascinating
    now let me put on my really old hat, because Porsche came out with a box that used hand pressure on top of the lever to actuate the clutch back in the 70s, I'm sure. It was a great idea, but it got such a bagging from the muttering rotters that they dropped it after a while...
    ...or so I recall, anyway
    ANYTHING that will give freedom from athelete's leg in traffic, but the fun of shifting out on the twisties must be good, and, as noted, we already have sequential shift on bikes, all we need to do is to automate the clutch.....

17. Hey Hornet, lets see how old you really are. Have you driven anything with a pre-select semi-auto gearbox? Now there is something that would confuse the young'uns!

18. OH YES, when I was pastoring the church in Canberra, we owned a 1956 AEC Double Decker bus, with a Wilson Pre-Selector. Second gear was shot, but the motor had so much torque you could change from first to third, even with a full load of kids going home from youth club, without a hint of protest!

19. I had a pre-select Lanchester LD10, a hideous beast of a thing. It had 6v electrics, which meant the paint on the crank handle was well worn! If you left it in first with the choke out, then crank started it, you could run yourself over....It's been done, trust me I know.

20. jeez what year model was that?
    My brother had a Morris Minor that rarely started on the button, but, of course, you were crazy to crank it in gear!
    OK since we're posing questions, what motoring invention was Lanchester responsible for???