Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selling my first bike - do I let them test ride?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by GunSlingerAU, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Hey guys

Got some folks coming to check out my Vespa tomorrow, which is funding my move to a real bike. But I'm worried about letting them test ride it - it's in immaculate condition, never dropped.

Is there a way I can ensure they pay up in case they stack it?

2. Get them to leave the cost of the bke with you (refundable upon return of bike in same condition) before they test ride it.
  3. Only if they're really keen on buying the bike. You kinda get a fair idea from the questions they ask you. Perhaps allow the test ride on their 2nd visit?

Personally I get sucked in really easy from test rides. :\ In fact while I was shopping around for bikes, I went to look at an R1 with an MV scheduled for the following day. The seller offered me a test ride to which I was reluctant to accept since I didn't have my gears with me. Needless to say I negotiated the price as soon as I hopped off.
  4. Would you expect to test ride a second hand bike if you were looking??? I personally didn't test ride mine but it was brand new and very few bike shops will let you test ride a new bike on 'L's
  5. I always apply a you break you bought it policy, with a deposit and Id check first.
    I also get people to note what time they took the ride and brought it back.

Its wise to protect yourself.
  6. Thanks for the great advice guys - now I just have to figure out how to get them to bring $4k in cash for their second visit as a deposit =P
  7. A test should be last on their list. Let them check it over and do whatever inspection they like (almost!) then settle on a price subject to satisfactory test ride. Agree on where it will be ridden and for a scoot around the block should be enough. Get some ID and a hefty deposit or better still the full price.

If they are keen enough to test they should be prepared to buy otherwise they can waste a dealers time.

Recently I have bought 2 bikes private and sold 1 and in each case the deal was done to the satisfaction of all parties before a test ride. Why? Because the tyre kickers were weeded out first. :)
  8. I just sold a bike, policy was you damage it you buy it. No one had a problem with that, most leaving their current bike keys or drivers license with me.
  9. But the question is would the law agree with your gentleman's agreement? I'd think they would just require him/her to fix the damage - and you could get shafted big time if the guy/gal is unemployed since they obviously wouldn't be insured....

These are the risks you take when selling. And in my experience the guy in a suit is just as likely to be a lunatic as the guy who arrives wearing a bonds singlet and thongs.
  10. Yeah it would. If the bargain was to buy it in case of any damage, the law would not supplant its own bargain for the one actually struck; but the difficulty would be in enforcing it, which would require the involvement of the courts, difficult questions of proof, and so forth. Much better to demand a full deposit, or, failing that, at least agree on something that is in writing and signed, but even this is a poor protection in comparison to having a deposit.
  11. I wouldn't let someone test ride my bike if I was selling it - any one will agree to buy/fix your bike just to take it for a test ride. It's another story once it happens and you're chasing them for the money.

Maybe I'd be a bit more relaxed if I owned a bike with less power and especially being a sportsbike where even 'small' crashes can mean big $$.

Don't trust people to keep their word.
  12. So long as you have insurance write down their license details and if they do damage the insurance company will handle them. If there isn't any insurance........... say no more.
  13. Yep, I've got comprehensive insurance. But I'm going to expect a deposit, or the signing of a contract, before I let them take it for a ride.
  14. nobody's gunna buy a bike they cant test ride, or have to give you a whole bunch of cash for to test ride, no 1 wants to carry that amount of money around.

Let them test ride it. If they drop it, they bought it.
  15. Easy. If they are serious the will bring the cash with them anyway. After a test ride they should be ready to negotiate, they can then sign the transfer and a letter stating the time and date they have taken ownership, and off they go (or not if they low ball you).
  16. I will generally let people test ride bikes that I am selling if a few conditions are met.

They have a license (which means my insurance applies).

They agree that if they damage the bike they are liable for any shortfall to the sale price agreed upon (including excess).

They arrive with riding gear riding a bike.

I know some people sell their bikes then look for another one, but in my eyes at least the risk is somewhat less if a rider turns up on a bike than it is otherwise (yes I know bikes can be stolen).
  17. Make them bring a family member and take said family member hostage until bike is returned in same condition it left in - if it's damaged give them an ultimatum - fix the bike or you'll break their loved one the same amount :)

Copying licence details isn't a sure bet - it costs $50 to get a fake id and a lot of people get ripped off by people with fakies.

Cash or family member is the only way to do it imho - even their current vehicle may be stolen from a previous test ride etc.
  18. I haven't bought a second hand bike but bought and sold heaps of cars that way - and I have to say I would never bother looking twice at a car I wasn't allowed to test drive - even more so for a bike. How I get around it is: copy/scan their license (they can't exactly ride without it!) and get their insurance details, and time/date of ride (for a legal record, and in case you get fines). A deposit is all good and well if you can get it, but I suggest people would hesitate to fork over money because sellers are just as dodgy as buyers. Cruiser's right, insurers will chase it for you anyway.
  19. [​IMG]

i wouldn't consider a vehicle if i could not test ride. i personally would not feel comfortable carrying a wad of cash around to be allowed to test ride.
  20. I forgot to add that I follow them on my other bike.

I might have problems if it ever happens that the bike I'm selling is faster than the one I'm keeping though :wink: