Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selling my car and bike for a new bike :) Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by evader, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Just get the thou...

2. 750cc makes sense, get to actually change gears in traffic!

0 vote(s)
  3. The 750cc is a waste of money over a 600cc.

0 vote(s)
  1. Hi All,

I'm not a frequent poster here but have been down to the Thursday night rides almost every time for the past few months.

I've been on my first bike, a Green '09 Ninja 250R for about 5 months or so. I love it but find it lacks a lot of power as you'd expect especially trying to pull out of tight corners.

I'm selling my car and the bike (interested anyone?) and plan to purchase my new bike in the next month or so as I'm approaching getting off my restrictions.

I'm really interested in the GSXR-750's. Same size, position, look of the 600's, but more grunt. The next step up is obviously a 1000cc bike...

But my question is, being a relatively new rider, but one that commutes every day on the bike and goes for twisty blasts on the weekend would I find a 1000cc bike ridiculous to manage in traffic? Will the 750 be more manageable in traffic?
  2. Just get a 1000. Anything else is too slow :cool:

3. says a dude with a 250...

4. Get the thou. Obviously it's what you want. Contrary to popular belief, small fluffy kittens won't die everytime you start it & twist the throttle.

Treat it with the respect it deserves.
  5. Kittens are indeed safe, but you should have seen what was left of the small, fluffy bunny-rabbit that got sucked up by a Speed Triple 1050 on the 4 Musketeers run. :LOL:

(I can't remember the rider's name :oops: )
  6. Thanks for the replies so far.

It's not a matter of me secretly wanting a 1000cc -

I want the most powerful bike that I can still throw through traffic or around a corner.

Also it seems I often here 'a good 600/750 rider' is quicker through the twisties. Any thoughts on this?
  7. The general idea with a 600 rider being faster is that a 600 is less 'point and shoot' compared to a thou. If you want to be fast, you need to learn to carry more corner speed etc. Also it is easier to throttle out of a corners, because of the lower amount of power (still more than enough for the road).

I say you should go test ride some bikes, find one that you like and buy it. Give it a go at commuting for a week or two, and if you are fine on it, then leave it at that, if you think its a pig in traffic, get a commuter bike.
  8. Sucked up, like through the inlet? :shock:

Blowing fur out the exhaust! Funny mental pic :LOL:
  9. The triple certainly sounds like it could do that, once you take the airbox resonator out. ;)

Naw, the cute fuzzy bunny got 'scooped up' by the underbelly fairing at speed. Very messy. Cracked the fairing, too.
  10. Ok thanks again,

Sorry to keep dragging this topic out, but what about running costs of a 1000 versus 600/750?

More/less petrol? Insurance (seems to be only $150 difference for me between a gsxr1000 and gsxr750), servicing, wheels, after market parts?
  11. What type of traffic? I find my fireblade is a right pain in the arse in traffic, so I'm going to be buying a small 250cc or less bike for commuting. But thats going to inner sydney CBD. When I used it to commute in 80 sections its great no problems, but in stop and start traffic big bikes are useless, they overheat, harder to lanesplit, etc.

You shouldn't be looking for more power coming out of tight corners, just get the revvs up and full throttle out :) On bigger bikes coming out of tight corners you really can't make use of the power. But I can totally understand the want for more power for faster corners and just general riding, but if you're wanting to put down lots of power coming out of hairpins etc you're looking at the wrong style of bike, should go get a motard or something :)
  12. I had both 600 & 750 at the same time.
    For traffic-ing, both bikes has the same physical size and felt the same.
    For weekend/ touring, I loved the 750 better, its smoother on the boring straights and fun on the twisties. Thinking long-term, Id choose the 750 and forget the 600. They both cost around the same in maintenance except prob the tyres. I only managed to get 7000kms on the rear(stock BT014) on the 750 and it already over the wear indicator. So maybe a thou will chew up tyres quicker?

Unlike 600/1000, you dont have much brand choice unless you consider an 848 too. Hell why not just get the thou! :twisted:
  13. Well, when I say power out of corners, I just mean general good twisty roads or uphill hairpin sort of things... There's just not enough balls on the 250 :)

I'm sure a 600/750 would sort this out... just trying to work out if I might as well get a thou or if it's overkill (for any road riding.)
  14. for powering out of corners you wont have probs even with 600cc, esp if you get late model gix600/600rr/675, ample of torque in low-med rpm.
    I was up fr GPX250 to 600rr and it was worlds difference already. :shock:
  15. Is the overheating thing right, can imagine they'd put out a bit of heat but overheating?
  16. Maybe not completely overheating (unless air-cooled), but they run their thermofans frequently in stop-start traffic. Especially in summer. You get a nice blast of very hot air cooking one or both legs. :)

(If only they did it more frequently in winter!)
  17. Thanks, that sounds better...
  18. What are the actual advantages to having a 600cc/similar bike over a 1000cc?

All I can think of is:

If you're short (I'm 6'3"), save on insurance, easier to split lanes and such, less chance of a very costly high side?
  19. Assuming we're talking about race-replicas only?
    (Considering that many tame, sensible touring bikes have 1000-1400cc motors and will be less aggressively tuned and less aggressively ridden than smaller-engined RRs)

Potentially a little lighter and narrower,
    potentially slightly better fuel efficiency,
    potentially cheaper insurance.

The highside thing probably comes down to rider sensibility; 600cc of race-replica is more than enough to get yourself into trouble if you're being foolish.
  20. Commuting on a thou? Pfft, burns as much fuel as a small car, much, much more in insurance, heaps more on tyres and consumables and is shithouse to ride in all sorts of weather.

Either get a commuter bike and your gay rice burner or keep the car, which are amazingly handy things wot have air conditioning, CD players and this metal sheet that stops rain getting in your underpants.

As a sidenote, what does CC's have to do with comprehensive motorbike insurance? A 600 will cost as much as a thousand to insure, providing the sum is relatively the same. CC's don't come into it.