Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selling my bike - should i allow test rides?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by wixy, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I'm sure this topic would have been discussed before, but a search did not reveal much.

I am going to sell my bike (an nsr250), and am thinking it would be best not to allow test rides for fear of someone crashing it.

Is this what most people do when selling a bike?
  2. I've been looking for my first bike recently and I've test ridden lots with not dramas. If you're concerned, ask a bit about the experience of the learner before you let them on.

Unfortunately for you anyone would be insane to buy a bike they haven't ridden themselves.
  3. Well, you obviously need to use your judgement when it comes to the potential purchaser but would you buy a bike you hadn't ridden? I certainly wouldn't...
  4. I would allow test rides right before the crunch - after all other aspects of the bike is discussed & details of the sale sorted.

But this depends alot of the kind of prospective buyer there is.
    As your bike is a 250cc (and a 2-stroke no less) the liklihood of someone crashing it on a test ride is greater than other bikes because of the type of prospective buyers you'll get.

In short, for you, I would say yes, but only if the buyer looks proficent and by your judgment you feel confident in letting them go for a blat.

I have sold 6x bikes privately through the Trading Post with my approach. I don't know how you can sell a 2nd hand bike without a test ride & I don't know who would buy one without a test ride - I wouldn't.

Beware of dickheads, thankfully they're easy to spot.

PS: I sold all my bikes with full rego & a roadworthy certificate (victoria)
  5. Here in Perth a guy was recently turning up for several test rides on foot with his dog. His line was, "look after my dog while I test ride your bike will you, he's my best mate". Problem was he didn't come back, and it turns out the dogs were stolen too............
  6. I allow test rides, with a copy of their licence and obviously I do a bit of a d*ckhead filtyer as well....And I ride on my *new* bike with them - in case they try and do a runner (no one ever has)....

Like everyone else has said...I wouldn;t buy a 2nd hand bike without a test ride...(Certain) New bikes you just live with not being able to test ride...

7. Your really not going to have an easy time selling without a test ride. Even though learners usually dont know what they are testing anyway :roll:

But only those you actually think are serious and not just wanting to see how that model of bike is, they can go waste a dealers time for that.

Ask for a deposit (which will be returned when they get back), if they are looking at bikes without a few hundred cash for deposits then they are a timewaster and werent planning to buy anyway, dont let them ride.
  8. Take a digital photo of their licence, front and back. Let them know that if they scratch it, they buy it at the advertised price. This sorts most of the serious ones out.

Selling it privately means you take this chance. Cover yourself by making sure your insurance covers all riders (change your policy if you have to). At worst you will be left with the cost of coving the excess.
  9. Got to check your insurance to see who is covered.

Ask for maybe a $500 holding deposit and keys to their car/bike and their licence.

Seen a few adverts saying "purchase price in cash before any test rides" - I think that is a bit much, and one was on a $15K bike

Two of the last three bikes I have bought without test riding - insane, some might say so :p :p :p
  10. the person who bought my zx636 kwaka had no problem buying it without a test ride.its hard to trust someone else on your bike but sometimes you have too.
  11. Sold my bike on ebay, the guy had never even seen the bike let alone ridden it!

But I guess if you don't let them have a test ride they can come back to you with problems after the sale.

12. My rule is 'no test rides unless you have a licence (which I'll copy) and you turn up with riding gear of your own (sorry L platers but you aren't insured on if you ride one of my bikes).

L Platers I will happily pillion, or I will allow a licensed friend of thiers to test ride it with the same conditions as above. If L platers don't know anyone to test ride a bike then I'm happy to organise the local shop to check it over (at thier expense). I'd normally offer the cost of that inspection as a discount if they go through with purchasing.

I will also take a photograph of you before you go on a test ride (which I'll happily delete when you get back).

I will also follow a tester on my other bike. I had one guy look very worried when I said that and he declined the test ride (the more I've thought about that the more I think I had a close call to a ride off!).

I don't accept personal cheques and I verify all bank cheques before accepting them.

Paranoid? Maybe... but no one has ripped a bike off me yet...
  13. Why ? You're not offering a warranty. I don't have x-ray vision and can't see that something is about to break. So long as you're honest about what you do know I can't see why you should have any dramas. That's the rule I go by when I buy or sell something second hand
  14. If you really know what to look for, a test ride is useful but not essential.

There is not really a lot a test ride can show you, that a detailed inspection and a good hard listen to the engine and gearbox can't. I have bought bikes without a test ride, but never without a good long inspection.

I guess a test ride would be more important though if you were not quite so mechanically experienced.
  15. the simplest way ive ever heard of doing it is get all the formalities out of the way, then if the person wants to buy it you tell them to come back with a bank cheque for the neg price and that they can test ride it then. If they dont want it give them the cheque back if they do keep it = simple.

16. i wouldnt buy a bike that i hadn't test rode

(except of course the one that i am restoring)
  17. Test riding your bike should be the last thing done to decide whether the buyer is goig to buy it or not I wouldn't buy a bike I hadn't ridden and liked the feel of etc .. having said that I wouldn't test ride a bike I wasn't 99% sure I was going to buy so I would have already made my mind up before I tested the bike so I would and haven't had an issue either giving a deposit or a bank cheque for the haggled price, why let people on your bike if there not serious, there are alot of tyre kickers out there you may lose one or two potential buyers by screening them but its worth it not to have headache of them crashing bike or doing a runner.
    So what I am trying to say if there not willing to put up a deposit or give you a BANK ( not a personal as I know some one that took a personal from a bloke and it bounced and bloke was gone with the bike and he was untracable ) cheque then they are not really serious ... it just covers yourself more thats my 2 bob
  18. I allow test rides, only for the same reason that I myself would never buy a bike I havn't at least taken for a 5 - 10 min ride.

If there alone : I want to see and hold onto there licence plus as extra security be holding onto the keys of whatever transport they came in.

PLUS : I never have them come direct to my house until I know they are 100% ridgy dige and the bike is sold ( I'll meet them at a local shopping center or garage for the initial look at the bike )

If they came with BF / GF etc , they stay with me and i still have hold of there tranport keys.

I also have my phone on record and tell them so when I state "you drop it you have bought it regardless" and also get there reply recorded.

if they are interested in the bike, all the above has never been rejected. in fact in all but one case, the answer was yeah of course I dont blame you and would ask the same myself :)

The only one that turned it down, was either just a tyre kicker or had other plans for my bike once he got on it :evil: :LOL: :LOL:
  19. when we were selling the old ZZR250, all the learners that rocked up to buy it brought an experienced rider with them to test ride the bike for them.

I had no problems letting a guy take the ZZR while leaving us his triumph sprint ST!
  20. I was looking at a bike and when I asked the question the response was "Fine, but if you crash it, you buy it"

Take this approach, and get their licence. I wouldn't get a copy, rather the actual thing. That way, they can't go too far and they won't go hammering it, for fear of being pulled over.

Obviously, if the person has never ridden a bike before, I'd ask them to bring back someone with more experience "for their own piece of mind".