Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selling first bike - Please advise

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by the_psycho_pat, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I've got a query on selling my bike privately. The story is basically as follows:

I'm based in Sydney and am due to come off my P's on Tuesday. I've got a 2005 (2006 registered) Kawasaki ER5 with around 13k on the clock.This bike was purchased from a dealer in July of last year.As I'm looking at upgrading to an R6 or CBR600rr the extra bucks I'd save by selling privately as opposed to getting scr***d on trade in by a dealer would be most welcome.

I would really appreciate any advice and/or information re the general procedure in relation to giving test rides. Does one take a photocopy of the prospective buyer's licence and inform the insurance company of the test ride (i.e. arrange suitable insurance) or enter a verbal understanding that if the bike is crashed on the test ride that the bike will be purchased?

I'm a little nervous and also maybe a bit paranoid of my bike been riden away, never to be seen again or totalled by a nerve learner.

Please advise
  2. Personally I wouldnt let a learner ride my bike. Take them for a pillion (make sure it is not your first go at pillioning).

Better still say one of their friends who has a big bike can ride it (they will be much better off anyway as they aren't experienced enough to pick the problems anyway). If they have no friends who ride say they can pay a mechanic (it will be money well spent for them).

There are other tips on another thread in general about test rides generally.
  3. Cheers Guru,

I did try using the search function before posting but my search skills obviously need some fine tuning :oops:

Thanks again, much appreciated.