Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

selling a bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by BlueRex, Sep 16, 2007.

1. I have my VTR on ebay and someone has messaged me asking if they could take it for a test ride.

Now if i was asked the same question by someone from netrider i probably wouldn't hesitate but it is ebay and i don't know them.

Should i ask for a cash deposit of $500 while they take it for a ride or just make sure they leave their car here while they take it for a spin?

2. Photocopy their license, take a photo of them, get them to sign agreement that they have to pay for any damage / buy it, etc. And get them to leave something with you (eg. car, bike, girlfriend, etc.) And perhaps follow them on another bike/car if you want.
  3. Ask them to leave their license Snowball and check it is theirs from the pic. I don't think you will get anyone to leave a deposit that large. As for what happens if they drop it and it is damaged, check your insurance to see if you can increase it to cover the person for the day, i.e. cover note.

If they drop it is is their responsibility morally but not sure about legally so you may find your self in the position of having to sue for recovery of damages. Generally if you have their license you just have to take the risk they will bring it back in one piece.

Thats my 2 cents worth :grin:
  4. Thanks for the reply guys.

You are probably right about the deposit, i think i will just copy their license and one would think they would come in a car so that will be here as well.
  5. Most people's insurance will NOT cover a test ride by potential buyer.

Use good judgement about their character and ability.

Make sure they are a serious buyer and work out a price BEFORE you send them out on it. That way if they bin it there is 1 less argument.
    Get a cash deposit to cover at least some damage. You have NO right to keep their car as security (and they could always come get it later with other keys, or their g/f comes along and drives it home, etc).

Anyone who will not trust you with a cash deposit ought not to be trusted with your bike.
  6. +1

I think if someone has the money and is serious about buying your bike then they'll be willing to leave some sort of (refundable) deposit to at least cover your excess. If they bin it you'll face the ethical issue of whether to tell your insurance company it was someone else riding or pretend it was you, but a couple of hundred dollars at least gives you something to cover the hassle if they bin it and you have to chase them... plus it weeds out those who aren't serious, and gives those who are some incentive to test-ride with care.
  7. The other alternative, which doesn't work so well on eBay, is to have them actually write out and sign a sale contract, and give you a deposit, with the wording 'subject to satisfactory test ride' or similar.
  8. :applause:

Good advice.
    Hang on to there licence (make sure they have a bike endorsment)
    Take a decent deposit, if there serious they shouldnt care.
    If they bin it they are under no legal obligation to give you squat.
    Only put minimal fuel in the bike, enough for a lap of the block.

Good luck
  9. That depends if they are looking to finance the bike or if they are a cash buyer though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for a deposit... that's up to the owner.

But be aware, there are legitimate buyers out there without such a cash deposit and you may reduce your own opportunities to sell the bike by insisting on a cash deposit.
  10. Seller: "I'm happy for you to test-ride the bike after everything else is to your satisfaction. Check the condition, the k's whatever else and then we'll agree on a price you're happy with if you're buying it.
    Then, when you put that much money in my hand - you can test ride the bike for as long as you like. If you like it and want to keep the bike, no problem, we sign all the paperwork and the bike is yours.
    If you don't like it and you bring it back in the condition it left in, then I'll give your money straight back, no questions asked.
    If you crash it or damage it in any way - you've bought it and we do the paperwork.
    So: test-ride is fine when I've got the cash as security for my bike you're taking, and you've got my bike as security for the cash you're leaving with me.

Make sense?

Anyone who has a problem with that is a joyrider and wasn't going to buy it anyway.
  11. +1

I sold my 99 Blade, and insisted that any person wanting to ride it, looked it over to satisfy themselves it is what they wanted, and then I required the purchase price in full, and in cash in exchange for the keys. Return it as it left and not want it, no prob money back. Return it damaged, your bike and my money. Remember that asking to keep their license means nothing if they damage it, and really if they are riding it, they are required to carry their license. If they can't comply, tell them you will ride it for them while they go pillion or follow you in a car or on another bike.

There was no way I was giving someone $10K worth of bike on trust alone. Check with your insurer, as mine will now cover anyone who is licensed while test riding it, just need to record their details before they take it.
  12. Spot on. That is what I did when I sold the 6. He paid for it in full on the condition that he was happy with the bike after the test ride.

If he did not like the bike, cash cheque went back to him and the bike stayed with me.

If you MUST allow test rides, don't assume because they turn up in a car that it is not stolen. Steal a car, pretend that it's yours, test ride a bike, never come back, you call the cops and get a "please explain" about the stolen car in your possesion.

Ask then for a licence and a rates notice or recent utility bill as proof of who they are and where they are from.

If the two don't match, I'd be very dubious.

13. Exactly. Let the buyer overcome all objections. I would want full payment BEFORE a terst ride. That's only fair. Otherwise you risk losing the whole bike either via theft or accident.

When the buyer returns you can give him the $$ back if he doesn't like it. If he does he gets to keep the bike.
  14. Only if she's good lookin' :LOL:
  15. What I've done in the past....

My 250 which I sold to another learner.
    He looked at the bike, we agreed a price, he was too nervous to ride the bike himself and didn't know much about bikes. I took it to a mechanic, who checked it over for him while he was there. All good, sale made.

My VTR1000
    Guy called, asked heaps of good questions about the bike, met him at my house, he brought his wife and kid with him. I photographed his licence and his car. His wife and kid stayed while he went for a test ride. We agreed a price that he would pay if it rode OK and if he dropped it. The bike was in A1 condition so I knew it was sold.

Prior to selling each bike I changed my insurance cover to "any rider". At worst I'd be out the excess on a claim. Worth the risk IMO if it sold the bike.

I agree that you do need to talk price before a test ride. A genuine buyer won't have a problem with this. No problems with this if you represent the bike correctly.
  16. 3 bikes (that I know of) stolen in the last 3 weeks in QLD by test riders not bringing the bikes back. One of them the guy left the keys to his car with the seller and his mate sat in the car.. but as soon as he was on the bike his *mate* drove his car away.
    Only one was recovered and that was pure luck. That one they guy had left his licence with the guy, but it was a fake. Cops found it at an address when they went to check something else out.

You must be careful.